Muslim Barber Sued for Refusing to Cut Female Customer's Hair
By Vasudevan Sridharan | November 16, 2012 10:06 PM EST
A Muslim barber in Canada has been sued for declining to cut a female customer's hair saying his religion does not allow him to touch women other than his family members.
Omar Mahrouk, who jointly owns the Terminal Barber shop in Ontario, is an ardent Islamic follower and so are his staff members.
When 35-year-old Faith McGregor entered his shop for a haircut, both Mahrouk and his employees refused to touch her, which she took as an insult.
McGregor told the Toronto Star that a "business haircut" was refused to her simply because she was a woman and that she felt like a "second-class citizen."
"For me it was just a haircut and started out about me being a woman. Now we're talking about religion versus gender versus human rights and businesses in Ontario," said McGregor.
Soon after the incident, she lodged a complaint against the shop owner with the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.
McGregor made it clear to the tribunal that she is not after money but wants the barber shop to serve both the genders.
However, the shop owners insist that it is a matter of faith for them. "We live for our values. We are people who have values and we hold on to them. I am not going to change what the faith has stated to us to do. This is not extreme - this is just a basic value that we follow. In our faith, for instance, I can cut my mother's hair, I can cut my sister's hair, I can cut my wife's hair, my daughter's hair," said a co-owner of the shop Karim Saaden.
Authorities will try to mediate between the parties in the coming weeks and if it fails, the case will go for trial.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Targets Pope Francis; Italy Deemed As Strategic Point Of Attack
- Brazilian Women-Only-Town Says No To Marriage, Baptism And Rules Made Up By Men
- Egyptian Feminist Receives Death Threats, The Truth Behind Her Bold Statement To ISIS
- Egyptian Feminist Sends a Bold Message to ISIS as she Poses Nude & Bleeds On Islamic State Flag
- 3 Important Revenue Sources Of Vatican
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports