Gnabry Credits Rapid Rise to Brilliance of Wenger
By Adrian Back | November 16, 2012 9:21 PM EST
Arsenal winger Serge Gnabry has described manager Arsene Wenger as one of the finest managers in world football and has revealed his delight at breaking into the first team this season.
The German youth international was handed his debut in the Capital One Cup earlier this season, before quickly repeating the feat by featuring in the Premier League and in the Champions League against Schalke.
The 17-year-old has been a regular in the Arsenal youth teams since arriving from German side Stuttgart in the summer of 2010 and has now made four appearances for the first team this season.
Now competing with the likes of Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gnabry has revealed how Wenger's faith in him has allowed him to develop into an outstanding talent.
"It's the biggest confidence boost you can have," Gnabry told the official Arsenal website. "Arsène Wenger is one of the greatest coaches in the world and I'm happy to be in that position. I try to give him back what he believes in me.
"Since the start of pre-season, it's gone very well for me. I've played in the Premier League and the Champions League, and of course that's a big step. I'm very proud. I always thought that in football it can go quick or slow, but I didn't expect it to happen so quick.
"It's the mental side that's hard. But you get used to it. At the beginning it's a bit different - the stadium [and] the crowd. It's lovely to be there. There are bigger people who are very powerful. It's kind of new, because I played against my age group before and now to play against 30-year-old men is a bit different."
Gnabry was in action for Arsenal on Thursday evening as the Under-19 side were held to a 0-0 draw in a NextGen series game against Athletic Bilbao which leaves their hopes of qualifying for the knockout stages of the tournament in the balance.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?