Gnabry Credits Rapid Rise to Brilliance of Wenger
By Adrian Back | November 16, 2012 9:21 PM EST
Arsenal winger Serge Gnabry has described manager Arsene Wenger as one of the finest managers in world football and has revealed his delight at breaking into the first team this season.
The German youth international was handed his debut in the Capital One Cup earlier this season, before quickly repeating the feat by featuring in the Premier League and in the Champions League against Schalke.
The 17-year-old has been a regular in the Arsenal youth teams since arriving from German side Stuttgart in the summer of 2010 and has now made four appearances for the first team this season.
Now competing with the likes of Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gnabry has revealed how Wenger's faith in him has allowed him to develop into an outstanding talent.
"It's the biggest confidence boost you can have," Gnabry told the official Arsenal website. "Arsène Wenger is one of the greatest coaches in the world and I'm happy to be in that position. I try to give him back what he believes in me.
"Since the start of pre-season, it's gone very well for me. I've played in the Premier League and the Champions League, and of course that's a big step. I'm very proud. I always thought that in football it can go quick or slow, but I didn't expect it to happen so quick.
"It's the mental side that's hard. But you get used to it. At the beginning it's a bit different - the stadium [and] the crowd. It's lovely to be there. There are bigger people who are very powerful. It's kind of new, because I played against my age group before and now to play against 30-year-old men is a bit different."
Gnabry was in action for Arsenal on Thursday evening as the Under-19 side were held to a 0-0 draw in a NextGen series game against Athletic Bilbao which leaves their hopes of qualifying for the knockout stages of the tournament in the balance.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan