Belgian Star Reveals Arsenal Dream
By Vishnuprasad S | November 16, 2012 7:47 PM EST
Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke has risked the wrath of his club's fans and cast doubts over his future at Villa Park by stating he supports Arsenal.
The Belgium international, who joined Villa from Genk in a £7m move in the summer, has had an impressive start for the Lions, with four goals in 10 appearances. However, the 21-year-old has now revealed he loves Villa's Premier League rivals Arsenal and is a huge fan of Gunners legend Thierry Henry.
"Arsenal are the club I love. I like their philosophy of selecting young players and, besides, they had Thierry Henry. For me he is the best player in the world and was my boyhood idol. I'm not afraid of making enemies at Villa by saying I love Arsenal," The Sun quoted Benteke as saying.
In addition to that, the Belgian also said he sees Villa as a stepping stone and claimed that he agreed to join the Birmingham outfit under the impression that they were a London-based club.
"One can say worse things. I'm a Villa player for now. They're the right club at the right time. When I joined Villa I didn't know where they played. I thought they were a London club!" the striker added.
Benteke Cleared of Carjacking
Meanwhile, Benteke has reportedly been cleared of carjacking charges, related to an incident that happed in Liege, Belgium last year.
The footballer, along with two other men, was accused of assaulting a motorist and stealing his Volkswagen Polo car. Benteke was arrested at the scene, held overnight and brought before the Palais de Justice the next day. All three men were later released and the Villa star was fighting to clear his name ever since.
A criminal court in Liege has now acquitted the player, according to Belgian newspaper HLN. The report claims that Benteke has been let off on the grounds that he was unknowingly involved in the incident.
Benteke is expected to start for Villa this weekend, when they visit the Etihad to face defending champions Manchester City.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 4: San Francisco Giants 11, Kansas City Royals 4 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles