Belgian Star Reveals Arsenal Dream
By Vishnuprasad S | November 16, 2012 7:47 PM EST
Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke has risked the wrath of his club's fans and cast doubts over his future at Villa Park by stating he supports Arsenal.
The Belgium international, who joined Villa from Genk in a £7m move in the summer, has had an impressive start for the Lions, with four goals in 10 appearances. However, the 21-year-old has now revealed he loves Villa's Premier League rivals Arsenal and is a huge fan of Gunners legend Thierry Henry.
"Arsenal are the club I love. I like their philosophy of selecting young players and, besides, they had Thierry Henry. For me he is the best player in the world and was my boyhood idol. I'm not afraid of making enemies at Villa by saying I love Arsenal," The Sun quoted Benteke as saying.
In addition to that, the Belgian also said he sees Villa as a stepping stone and claimed that he agreed to join the Birmingham outfit under the impression that they were a London-based club.
"One can say worse things. I'm a Villa player for now. They're the right club at the right time. When I joined Villa I didn't know where they played. I thought they were a London club!" the striker added.
Benteke Cleared of Carjacking
Meanwhile, Benteke has reportedly been cleared of carjacking charges, related to an incident that happed in Liege, Belgium last year.
The footballer, along with two other men, was accused of assaulting a motorist and stealing his Volkswagen Polo car. Benteke was arrested at the scene, held overnight and brought before the Palais de Justice the next day. All three men were later released and the Villa star was fighting to clear his name ever since.
A criminal court in Liege has now acquitted the player, according to Belgian newspaper HLN. The report claims that Benteke has been let off on the grounds that he was unknowingly involved in the incident.
Benteke is expected to start for Villa this weekend, when they visit the Etihad to face defending champions Manchester City.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air