Belgian Star Reveals Arsenal Dream
By Vishnuprasad S | November 16, 2012 7:47 PM EST
Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke has risked the wrath of his club's fans and cast doubts over his future at Villa Park by stating he supports Arsenal.
The Belgium international, who joined Villa from Genk in a £7m move in the summer, has had an impressive start for the Lions, with four goals in 10 appearances. However, the 21-year-old has now revealed he loves Villa's Premier League rivals Arsenal and is a huge fan of Gunners legend Thierry Henry.
"Arsenal are the club I love. I like their philosophy of selecting young players and, besides, they had Thierry Henry. For me he is the best player in the world and was my boyhood idol. I'm not afraid of making enemies at Villa by saying I love Arsenal," The Sun quoted Benteke as saying.
In addition to that, the Belgian also said he sees Villa as a stepping stone and claimed that he agreed to join the Birmingham outfit under the impression that they were a London-based club.
"One can say worse things. I'm a Villa player for now. They're the right club at the right time. When I joined Villa I didn't know where they played. I thought they were a London club!" the striker added.
Benteke Cleared of Carjacking
Meanwhile, Benteke has reportedly been cleared of carjacking charges, related to an incident that happed in Liege, Belgium last year.
The footballer, along with two other men, was accused of assaulting a motorist and stealing his Volkswagen Polo car. Benteke was arrested at the scene, held overnight and brought before the Palais de Justice the next day. All three men were later released and the Villa star was fighting to clear his name ever since.
A criminal court in Liege has now acquitted the player, according to Belgian newspaper HLN. The report claims that Benteke has been let off on the grounds that he was unknowingly involved in the incident.
Benteke is expected to start for Villa this weekend, when they visit the Etihad to face defending champions Manchester City.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date