ANZ’s Smith Top Paid Banker for 2012 After Getting $10M Annual Pay
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 16, 2012 7:25 PM EST
The annual report that was released on Friday said that the base salary of the top guy at ANZ remained basically unchanged from the previous year, standing at $3.15 million in the year to September 30, largely due to the pay freeze for senior executives that the bank introduced in 2011
What boosted Mr Smith's total earnings for the 2012 financial year were the short-term cash incentives, which jumped to $1.9 million from $1.75 million a year ago.
He likewise pocketed $5.2 million in cash, as well as collected $4.95 million worth of shares, thus boosting his total remuneration by four per cent from the $9.7 million he received previously.
All considered, Mr Smith remains as Australia's top paid banker. His counterpart at Westpac, Gail Kelly, only received $9.6 million in the 12 months to September 30, of which $5.3 million was paid in cash.
Ian Narev, top guy at Commonwealth Bank, the country's biggest bank by far, received only $5.7 million in the year to June 30.
The last to publish its report among the top Australian big banks is the National Australia Bank. But analysts surmise that Mr Smith would still likely be Australia's top paid banker judging from the pay amount that NAB Chief Executive Cameron Clyne received the previous year, which was $5.3 million in the 2010-11 fiscal year. Moreover, the bank's profit fell in the 2011-12 year by 22 per cent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales