The newly leaked XXELK4 official firmware brings multi-view and a host of other Note 2 features to Galaxy S3 Photo: XDA Developers
Samsung seems to have hastened the Jelly Bean update process on its flagship devices (including the Galaxy S3) in the wake of the latest Jelly Bean update, Android 4.2, already debuting with the Nexus family of Android devices. Galaxy S3 users can now install the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update with the leaked XXELK4 firmware using the manual installation method provided in this guide.
The XXELK4 firmware update is an unbranded firmware for unlocked Galaxy S3, which is not yet available officially via Samsung KIES. XXELK4 is a leaked firmware update with official bits, but not a custom ROM release. The firmware package includes multi-view and a host of other Note 2 apps and features.
Android 4.1.2 XXELK4 Firmware New Features:
- Android 4.1.2 - JZO54K
- Multi-View (Multi WindowsMultitasking, same as in Note 2)
- Page Buddy
- NotificationPanel (NotificationPanel can now be customized)
- Smart Rotation (Screen Displayadjusts to your angle of viewing)
- Continues Input in SamsungKeyboard(Similar to Swipe or Android 4.2Keyboard)
- PaperArtist App(Same as in Note 2)
- New Gallery App (Same as in Note 2)
Key Points to Note
- The Android 4.1.2 XXELK4 firmware and the instructions given in this guide are only applicable to the international variant Galaxy S3 I9300 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify your phone's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Application > Development and check the USB debugging option.
- Ensure that your phone battery is at least 85 percent charged to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while flashing the XXELK4 firmware update.
- Users are advised to back up apps, important personal data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update.
- Make sure that your phone is factory unlocked before proceeding with the XXELK4 firmware installation procedure.
- The installation of this ROM will increase your phone's binary counter and will also change the device status to Modified. Hence, it could almost certainly void the warranty on your phone. So, proceed with caution.
- As this is a leaked official Android 4.1.2 firmware for Galaxy S3, you will lose root access soon after installing the update. You need to root your phone once again to regain full system access, and be able to reinstall root based apps on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the XXELK4 firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 XXELK4 Jelly Bean Firmware on Galaxy S3 I9300
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 I9300XXELK4 ROM for Galaxy S3 on your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to install Android 4.1.2 on your Galaxy S3.
Step 3 - Power off your phone and boot into Download Mode. To do so, Press and hold the Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap the Power button until you see the construction Android robot icon with a triangle. Hit the Power button again to confirm entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on your computer and connect your phone to it while your phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - In case your phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes will turn yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This process may be time-consuming.
Step 6 - Choose the files to be flashed or installed on your phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the PDA button and choose the file named 'CODE'.
- Tap the Phone button and choose the file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Hit the CSC button and choose the file named 'CSC'. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
- Click the PIT button and choose the .pit file. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
Step 8 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. In case of the Re-Partition option, check it ONLY if you chose a .pit file in the previous step.
Step 9 - Click the Start button in ODIN and the ROM installation process will begin. It may take a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 - Once the ROM is installed, your phone will reboot. When you see the home screen, disconnect the phone from the computer.
Your Samsung Galaxy S3 is now successfully updated to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with XXELK4 firmware. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
Check out our step-by-step guide to root your Galaxy S3 I9300 on XXELK4 Official Firmware, which is posted here.
[Source: Team Android]
To contact the editor, e-mail: