CIA Opens Probe into Conduct of General David Petraeus
By Geetha Pillai | November 16, 2012 4:34 PM EST
The CIA has opened an internal inquiry into the conduct of General David Petraeus, its former director who resigned on grounds of having an affair with his biographer, Paula Broadwell.
The CIA said the investigation has been launched to see if there are any lessons to be learned.
"If there are lessons to be learned from this case, we'll use them to improve," said CIA spokesman Preston Golson.
"But we're not getting ahead of ourselves. An investigation is exploratory and doesn't presuppose any particular outcome."
Petraeus has been keeping a low profile since the outbreak of the scandal but he will be testifying before the two congressional committees on the deadly attack on the US mission in Libya in which ambassador Chris Stevenson and three other Americans were killed.
Though the FBI found confidential documents on Broadwell's computer, both Petraeus and Broadwell denied that they originated from the former director.
"As we went through the investigation and looked at the facts and tried to examine them as they developed, we felt very secure in the knowledge that a national security threat did not exist."
There was intense speculation about the timing of the resignation as it came three days after President Barack Obama was re-elected. It was suspected that the resignation may have links with the Benghazi attack as Petraeus reportedly had direct involvement with the probe.
But Petraeus insisted that his resignation has nothing to do with Benghazi.
"He was very clear that he screwed up terribly, it was all his fault, even that he felt fortunate to have a wife who is far better than he deserves," said CNN Headline News anchor Kyra Phillips after her interview with Petraeus.
"He has insisted to me that he has never passed classified information to Paula Broadwell. He has said this has nothing to do with Benghazi and he wants to testify. He will testify."
The scandal began with an FBI investigation into complaints of harassing emails to Tampa resident and socialite Jill Kelley which were tracked to Petraeus's lover Broadwell.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Woman Gets Killed After Falling Off Cliff During Expedition Near Mermaid Pool
- ‘Drunk Girl in Public' Actress Apologises; Actor Tells Dr. Drew He Thought It Was Comedy Skit
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices