CIA Opens Probe into Conduct of General David Petraeus
By Geetha Pillai | November 16, 2012 4:34 PM EST
The CIA has opened an internal inquiry into the conduct of General David Petraeus, its former director who resigned on grounds of having an affair with his biographer, Paula Broadwell.
The CIA said the investigation has been launched to see if there are any lessons to be learned.
"If there are lessons to be learned from this case, we'll use them to improve," said CIA spokesman Preston Golson.
"But we're not getting ahead of ourselves. An investigation is exploratory and doesn't presuppose any particular outcome."
Petraeus has been keeping a low profile since the outbreak of the scandal but he will be testifying before the two congressional committees on the deadly attack on the US mission in Libya in which ambassador Chris Stevenson and three other Americans were killed.
Though the FBI found confidential documents on Broadwell's computer, both Petraeus and Broadwell denied that they originated from the former director.
"As we went through the investigation and looked at the facts and tried to examine them as they developed, we felt very secure in the knowledge that a national security threat did not exist."
There was intense speculation about the timing of the resignation as it came three days after President Barack Obama was re-elected. It was suspected that the resignation may have links with the Benghazi attack as Petraeus reportedly had direct involvement with the probe.
But Petraeus insisted that his resignation has nothing to do with Benghazi.
"He was very clear that he screwed up terribly, it was all his fault, even that he felt fortunate to have a wife who is far better than he deserves," said CNN Headline News anchor Kyra Phillips after her interview with Petraeus.
"He has insisted to me that he has never passed classified information to Paula Broadwell. He has said this has nothing to do with Benghazi and he wants to testify. He will testify."
The scandal began with an FBI investigation into complaints of harassing emails to Tampa resident and socialite Jill Kelley which were tracked to Petraeus's lover Broadwell.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- UFO Falling 'Angel Hair' Strands Spotted By Portugal Residents [VIDEO]
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Kim Dotcom Thinks He Will Go To Jail in New Zealand; Admits Before Bail Hearing He is 'Broke'
- Pope Francis Not Closing Doors For Talks With ISIS Despite Death Threat
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More