$1.5 Million Worth Of Apple iPad Minis Stolen In Heist At JFK Airport
By Eric Brown | November 16, 2012 2:39 PM EST
While many Apple fans will be lining up to buy their iPad minis at Apple stores nationwide, after a huge heist, just as many may be excited to purchase their new tablets from illegal black market dealers.
A pair of criminals stole nearly $1.5 million worth of brand new Apple iPad Minis in a heist at New York City’s John F. Kennedy International Airport Monday night, authorities said. Reportedly as many as 3,600 iPad Minis, freshly flown in from manufacturers in China, were taken.
The criminals were able to sneak a tractor-trailer through the airport’s security around 11 p.m. on Monday. They parked the truck near a building that was housing a shipment of Apple’s latest miniature tablet, the iPad mini, and used the airport’s forklift to load two pallets of them into their truck.
There were three pallets remaining in the building when an airport employee confronted the pair and they drove off.
“So, as a caper goes, it was probably unsuccessful,” a source told the New York Post.
According to the New York Post, the two criminals are still at large as of Thursday night. Police suspect an inside job and have begun questioning airport employees.
The cargo building that the thieves broke into was the site of the 1978 Lufthansa heist featured in the Martin Scorsese film “GoodFellas.”
The Lufthansa heist saw thieves make off with $5 million in cash and just under a million dollars in jewelry from the same building at JFK on Dec. 11, 1978. It was America’s largest cash robbery.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Facebook To Charge Users Of $2.99 Monthly Fee On November 1; Best Free Alternatives For Facebook
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' What Players Can Expect Before November 18 Release Date
- 'World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Spoilers: 'WoD' In-Game Cinematics Revealed, Plus There's A Brewfest For The Horde And Alliance Players [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘Destiny’ v. ‘Battlefield Hardline’: The Queen’s Wrath Set And Treasure Cave Spotted; Hotwire Multiplayer Shows High Speed
- Microsoft Promises A Better ‘Minecraft,’ Game To Come to Windows Phone
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?