Big Bang Theory’s Penny: Kaley Cuoco talks hard times, ‘The show has been the hugest blessing’
By Arlene Paredes | November 16, 2012 2:29 PM EST
"The Big Bang Theory" (TBBT) of CBS is watched by an estimated 19 million viewers each week. This figure indicates the stars in the hit comedy series are earning well. Perhaps they are getting richer each new season. Kaley Cuoco, who plays blonde, pretty, and actress-wannabe Penny opens up about what TBBT has done for her.
In July this year, Forbes magazine reported Cuoco earned $8 million within the 12-month period from mid-2011. The young comedy actress earned as much as "Desperate Housewives" (ABC) stars Teri Hatcher and Marcia Cross, as well as "Private Pactice's" (ABC) Kate Walsh.
In contrast, Melissa McCarthy, Emmy's 2011 Best Leading Actress in a Comedy, earned $6 million as Molly of another CBS comedy, "Mike & Molly."
Kaley Cuoco's childhood: 'I never noticed when things weren't great'
Cuoco was not exactly born with the proverbial silver spoon in her mouth. Her dad is a real estate agent who has been through good and bad times at work. She has a stay-at-home mom. Needless to say that during her childhood in Southern California, her parents had some financially challenging times.
"(B)ut I never noticed when things weren't great," she said.
Things have changed for the better now for the spirited actress.
"This year, I'm hosting Thanksgiving and Christmas with, like, 25 people at my house - I can do that now," she told Associated Press.
"It's emotional, cause I remember we could never afford that. The show has been the hugest blessing," Cuoco emphasized, referring to The Big Bang Theory.
Kaley's got the "It" factor in comedy
TBBT may be Cuoco's biggest sitcom. But her knack for comedy was first noticed on ABC's "8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter."
TBBT co-creator Chuck Lorre got Cuoco to play Penny for her brilliance in comedy.
"There's an instinctive thing with comedy that some people have - an elegance and gracefulness, where no effort is apparent," Lorre had earlier said in a separate interview.
TBBT may have made Cuoco a lot richer now, but without her "elegance and gracefulness" in the show, the comedy may not be as fun to watch.
So, let's have more of Penny-Sheldon (Jim Parsons) moments, okay?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 24 – 28 Plus Thanksgiving Special Spoilers: Someone Returns, Kelly Finds Out About Engagement And More [Videos]
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Rick Grimes’ Group To Capture Cops In Episode 7 – ‘Crossed’
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Spoilers, Air Date: Where To Watch Online, Live Stream ‘Crossed’
- 'Revenge' Season 4 Spoilers: Daniel, Emily In Twisted Friendship; David Clarke Mystery Growing (Review, Updates)
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James