Samsung Galaxy Nexus First to get Android 4.2 Jelly Bean Update than Galaxy S3?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | November 16, 2012 1:18 PM EST
A lot of people are impressed with the features of the new 4.2 version of Google's Jelly Bean, which the company released early this month. The new mobile software may be the reason why Google announced that the latest LG Nexus 4 sold out in minutes.
The Nexus 4 and the tablet Nexus 10 are the first devices to sport the new OS. However, according to reports, Google has already begun making Android 4.2 available as an over-the-air (OTA) update to owners of certain older Nexus devices.
Thus, the Samsung Galaxy Nexus may get the new 4.2 version of Jelly Bean first than the company's flagship phone - Galaxy S3. Reports claimed that both the Nexus 7 fondleslab and the Galaxy Nexus phone are said to be getting the upgrade starting on Tuesday.
As has been the case with previous OS updates, however, only owners of the GSM/HSPA+ version of the Galaxy Nexus can join the party for now. The CDMA version users may have to wait for God knows how long.
Androidv4.2 Jelly Bean offers some performance and security enhancements, however, including better GPU acceleration and new anti-malware capabilities. It also brings a few interesting new features, such as multi-user support, more interactive screensavers and lock screens, and support for external displays.
Excited Android users who do not have the patience to wait for an OTA update can use these images to upgrade their devices manually. However, be wary of bugs that may come on board.
On the other hand, Samsung Galaxy S3 users may also enjoy the new incredible features of the Galaxy Note 2 as the company is said to be working on a firmware upgrade that includes Multi Window View and Smart Rotation.
The Androidv4.1.2 Jelly Bean update for Samsung Galaxy S3 may arrive later this year but a leak showed that the update includes some of Galaxy Note 2's killer features.
According to GottaBeMobile, Multi Window View is not the only new feature coming with the update either. This leaked firmware also includes features such as Page Buddy, Notification Panel that can be customized, Smart Rotation, etc.
The same kind of update is also expected to Galaxy Note 2's predecessor. The leaked firmware is Android 4.1.2, version JZO54K, and it is apparently test firmware and not likely the version that Samsung will be rolling out in the future.
Android fans who may not be as tech savvy as some developers may still try to get on Google's waiting list for the Nexus 4, which is the easiest way to get a device running Android 4.2.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More