Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 11/16/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | November 16, 2012 12:55 PM EST
Local stocks have hit fresh seven week lows in the early session, following more weakness on European and US markets overnight. Data showed the European economy is officially in recession, and whilst this was no surprise, it did give investors reason to sell. US markets were also sold-off after the world's largest retailer Wal-Mart disappointed with profit results.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is down 9.7pts or 0.2pct to 4360.9.
Outdoor wear retailer Kathmandu (KMD) is one bright spot, up 8pct to $1.6 as the company holds its AGM. The clothing and camping equipment has posted a 19.5pct boost in sales for the last 15 weeks. Sales came in at $66.9 million for the 15 weeks to November 11, an almost 20 per cent rise on the same period last year. Same store sales - excluding new stores - grew by 14.3pct during the period compared with 7.6 per cent in the same period last year. KMD has opened six new stores in Australia since the start of August, with another three to come before Christmas and 15 planned for the year. CEO Peter Halkett said the result was ahead of expectations and came despite difficult trading conditions.
Other companies holding AGMs today include Cash Converters (CCV) and Goodman Group (GMG). CCV shares are up 1pct to $0.99 while GMG is lower at $4.465. Cash Converters has told shareholders first quarter growth is above expectations, while Goodman Group has maintained its earnings guidance.
The Australian dollar is worth US103.37c, £0.6517 and €80.91c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 15, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 16, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 15, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 16, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning September 17, 2014
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date