Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 11/16/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | November 16, 2012 12:55 PM EST
Local stocks have hit fresh seven week lows in the early session, following more weakness on European and US markets overnight. Data showed the European economy is officially in recession, and whilst this was no surprise, it did give investors reason to sell. US markets were also sold-off after the world's largest retailer Wal-Mart disappointed with profit results.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is down 9.7pts or 0.2pct to 4360.9.
Outdoor wear retailer Kathmandu (KMD) is one bright spot, up 8pct to $1.6 as the company holds its AGM. The clothing and camping equipment has posted a 19.5pct boost in sales for the last 15 weeks. Sales came in at $66.9 million for the 15 weeks to November 11, an almost 20 per cent rise on the same period last year. Same store sales - excluding new stores - grew by 14.3pct during the period compared with 7.6 per cent in the same period last year. KMD has opened six new stores in Australia since the start of August, with another three to come before Christmas and 15 planned for the year. CEO Peter Halkett said the result was ahead of expectations and came despite difficult trading conditions.
Other companies holding AGMs today include Cash Converters (CCV) and Goodman Group (GMG). CCV shares are up 1pct to $0.99 while GMG is lower at $4.465. Cash Converters has told shareholders first quarter growth is above expectations, while Goodman Group has maintained its earnings guidance.
The Australian dollar is worth US103.37c, £0.6517 and €80.91c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 21, 2014
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports