Magic Johnson Rips Lakers, 'Love Dr. Buss, Don't Trust Jim Buss" [VIDEO]
By Charles Poladian | November 16, 2012 10:52 AM EST
NBA Hall of Famer and Los Angeles Lakers great Magic Johnson has ended his Twitter silence and has ripped the Lakers for not hiring Phil Jackson. Johnson had strong words for Lakers owner Jim Buss during ESPN's "NBA Countdown."
Magic Johnson has a passion for Los Angeles sports that extends beyond the Lakers, the team he played his entire career with, and is now part-owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Many were looking to Johnson, who has also served as an analyst for ESPN, for his take on the Lakers' hiring head coach Mike D'Antoni after firing Mike Brown just five games into the NBA season. Johnson was silent for a while on Twitter but has now let his voice be heard on the matter.
When news broke of Brown's firing, Johnson admitted that Brown may not have been the best fit in the first place. For a replacement, Johnson had a few names in mind that could take over, including Phil Jackson, former Los Angeles Lakers and Chicago Bulls head coach and owner of 12 NBA Championship rings. Jackson was the first choice for many fans and analysts and was contacted by the Lakers about the head coach position. But just before he was going to accept the offer, the Lakers called him with the news that that they were picking Mike D'Antoni, former coach of the Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks, instead.
After D'Antoni's hiring was announced, Johnson went silent on Twitter until Thursday, when he addressed the situation. Johnson spoke about Buss on ESPN's “NBA Countdown” program on Wednesday, notes USA Today. Speaking about the hiring, Johnson said, "I don't feel Mike D'Antoni is the right coach for the Lakers, especially when you have Phil Jackson sitting out there, who wanted to be the Laker coach.” He said Buss mishandled the situation and should not have misled fans to believe that it was Jackson's job if he wanted it.
Johnson stated emphatically, “Love Dr. Buss, don't trust Jim Buss.”
On Twitter following the segment, Johnson had kind words for D'Antoni, hoping he can win a championship with the Lakers, and was supportive of the new coach as well as the players.
Video of the “NBA Countdown” segment is below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand