Magic Johnson Rips Lakers, 'Love Dr. Buss, Don't Trust Jim Buss" [VIDEO]
By Charles Poladian | November 16, 2012 10:52 AM EST
NBA Hall of Famer and Los Angeles Lakers great Magic Johnson has ended his Twitter silence and has ripped the Lakers for not hiring Phil Jackson. Johnson had strong words for Lakers owner Jim Buss during ESPN's "NBA Countdown."
Magic Johnson has a passion for Los Angeles sports that extends beyond the Lakers, the team he played his entire career with, and is now part-owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Many were looking to Johnson, who has also served as an analyst for ESPN, for his take on the Lakers' hiring head coach Mike D'Antoni after firing Mike Brown just five games into the NBA season. Johnson was silent for a while on Twitter but has now let his voice be heard on the matter.
When news broke of Brown's firing, Johnson admitted that Brown may not have been the best fit in the first place. For a replacement, Johnson had a few names in mind that could take over, including Phil Jackson, former Los Angeles Lakers and Chicago Bulls head coach and owner of 12 NBA Championship rings. Jackson was the first choice for many fans and analysts and was contacted by the Lakers about the head coach position. But just before he was going to accept the offer, the Lakers called him with the news that that they were picking Mike D'Antoni, former coach of the Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks, instead.
After D'Antoni's hiring was announced, Johnson went silent on Twitter until Thursday, when he addressed the situation. Johnson spoke about Buss on ESPN's “NBA Countdown” program on Wednesday, notes USA Today. Speaking about the hiring, Johnson said, "I don't feel Mike D'Antoni is the right coach for the Lakers, especially when you have Phil Jackson sitting out there, who wanted to be the Laker coach.” He said Buss mishandled the situation and should not have misled fans to believe that it was Jackson's job if he wanted it.
Johnson stated emphatically, “Love Dr. Buss, don't trust Jim Buss.”
On Twitter following the segment, Johnson had kind words for D'Antoni, hoping he can win a championship with the Lakers, and was supportive of the new coach as well as the players.
Video of the “NBA Countdown” segment is below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Sr Already Endorsing Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Fight After Anticipated Victory Over Maidana
- Top 10 Highest Paid Tennis Players
- Dallas Cowboys Have Worst Linebackers in History, Tony Romo To Miss Games Again – Gerry Fraley
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Mourinho's Free-Transfer Ploy On Khedira Working, After Latter Refused To Pen New Real Madrid Deal
- Spanish Super Cup Second Leg Preview
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop