Magic Johnson Rips Lakers, 'Love Dr. Buss, Don't Trust Jim Buss" [VIDEO]
By Charles Poladian | November 16, 2012 10:52 AM EST
NBA Hall of Famer and Los Angeles Lakers great Magic Johnson has ended his Twitter silence and has ripped the Lakers for not hiring Phil Jackson. Johnson had strong words for Lakers owner Jim Buss during ESPN's "NBA Countdown."
Magic Johnson has a passion for Los Angeles sports that extends beyond the Lakers, the team he played his entire career with, and is now part-owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Many were looking to Johnson, who has also served as an analyst for ESPN, for his take on the Lakers' hiring head coach Mike D'Antoni after firing Mike Brown just five games into the NBA season. Johnson was silent for a while on Twitter but has now let his voice be heard on the matter.
When news broke of Brown's firing, Johnson admitted that Brown may not have been the best fit in the first place. For a replacement, Johnson had a few names in mind that could take over, including Phil Jackson, former Los Angeles Lakers and Chicago Bulls head coach and owner of 12 NBA Championship rings. Jackson was the first choice for many fans and analysts and was contacted by the Lakers about the head coach position. But just before he was going to accept the offer, the Lakers called him with the news that that they were picking Mike D'Antoni, former coach of the Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks, instead.
After D'Antoni's hiring was announced, Johnson went silent on Twitter until Thursday, when he addressed the situation. Johnson spoke about Buss on ESPN's “NBA Countdown” program on Wednesday, notes USA Today. Speaking about the hiring, Johnson said, "I don't feel Mike D'Antoni is the right coach for the Lakers, especially when you have Phil Jackson sitting out there, who wanted to be the Laker coach.” He said Buss mishandled the situation and should not have misled fans to believe that it was Jackson's job if he wanted it.
Johnson stated emphatically, “Love Dr. Buss, don't trust Jim Buss.”
On Twitter following the segment, Johnson had kind words for D'Antoni, hoping he can win a championship with the Lakers, and was supportive of the new coach as well as the players.
Video of the “NBA Countdown” segment is below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones