Red Sox Trade Rumors: Josh Hamilton, Mike Napoli, and a Starting Pitcher on Boston's Radar?
November 16, 2012 10:17 AM EST
General manager Ben Cherington said the Boston Red Sox will have one of the highest payrolls in baseball next season, and speculation has begun as to how they will disperse their money.
Cherington further explained his comments on Boston radio station WEEI Thursday.
"Exactly where it ends up, exactly what rank we are, I don’t know that yet," Cherington said to WEEI. "I think it just depends on what we do. We’re not going to shoot for an arbitrary payroll number just to say that we’re going to get to this. We just have to look at each opportunity as it comes and figure out whether it’s the right thing for the Red Sox.”
The Red Sox have a lot of ground to make up with their fans, after finishing with their worst record in over 40 years this past season, and a monumental collapse in 2011 that saw former manager Terry Francona out the door.
Boston will have to address both their lineup and starting pitching in free agency, though the market for pitchers is thin. Still they only have $45 million committed to their payroll next season.
They could make a huge splash this winter by grabbing one of the most talented, albeit riskiest, players in outfielder Josh Hamilton. The Texas Ranger is reportedly demanding a long-term deal worth nearly $175 million, but Texas was only willing to give him three years, leaving the door open for Boston, the Seattle Mariners, and the Baltimore Orioles.
Hamilton has a torrid history with drug and alcohol abuse, which many believe are the main reasons for why the Rangers won’t commit both the time and huge money to one of the league’s best all-around hitters.
After completing a blockbuster trade that shipped out the hefty contracts of Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez, and Josh Beckett, speculation insisted the Red Sox were clearing salary for a run at Hamilton.
Boston could also pair Hamilton with another Ranger in catcher Mike Napoli. They have reportedly reached out to the 31-year-old, who hit 24 home runs and was named an All-Star last season. Napoli could play a dual role at catcher and first base.
In terms of pitching, the Red Sox have apparently taken themselves out of the hunt for starter Zach Greinke, but could pursue right-hander Jeremy Guthrie of Kansas City.
Guthrie was traded to the Royals by the Colorado Rockies last season, and posted a 2.17 ERA afterwards. The 33-year-old also has experience in the AL East, having spent five years with Baltimore.
Cherington could also chase Baltimore’s Joe Saunders, who helped the Orioles reach the playoffs with a 2.75 ERA and 3-2 record in September, and won both of his postseason starts by allowing just two earned runs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display