Facebook Shares Resume Fall After Andreessen Horowitz Sells Majority Of Stake
By David Zielenziger | November 16, 2012 7:34 AM EST
Shares of Facebook (Nasdaq: FB) resumed their fall after director and early investor Marc Andreessen cashed out a big position.
In late Thursday trading, Facebook fell 37 cents to $21.99 after Wednesday's unexpected surge of 13 percent despite the availabilty of 800 million new shares of the Menlo Park, Calif., company eligible for sale by employees who'd been barred from selling since the May initial public offering.
On Tuesday, before the big run-up, the Andreessen Horowitz venture capital firm sold 4.6 million shares of Facebook, while it retained an additional 3.9 millon shares.
Principal Marc Andreessen, 41, is a director of Facebook as well as of Hewlett-Packard Co. (NYSE: HPQ), the No. 1 computer company. He's friendly with co-founder Mark Zuckerberg, 28, and was among his early venture investors.
Andreessen was the inventor of the Mosaic web browser while still a student at the University of Illinois. That was the basis of Netscape Communications Corp., one of the pioneers of the first Internet boom.
His Menlo Park, Calif., investment firm, which has taken investments from New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, was also restricted by so-called “lockup” provisions from selling until this week.
Other firms, such as Accel Partners, sold part of their holdings in the IPO and several early investors, including Peter Thiel and Dustin Moskovitz sold their entire investments earlier this year.
Zuckerberg, who cashed out about $3 billion worth of Facebook shares in the IPO, has promised not to sell more until sometime next year.
Facebook's market capitalization is now about $48 billion, or 42 percent below its value in the IPO.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar