Facebook Shares Resume Fall After Andreessen Horowitz Sells Majority Of Stake
By David Zielenziger | November 16, 2012 7:34 AM EST
Shares of Facebook (Nasdaq: FB) resumed their fall after director and early investor Marc Andreessen cashed out a big position.
In late Thursday trading, Facebook fell 37 cents to $21.99 after Wednesday's unexpected surge of 13 percent despite the availabilty of 800 million new shares of the Menlo Park, Calif., company eligible for sale by employees who'd been barred from selling since the May initial public offering.
On Tuesday, before the big run-up, the Andreessen Horowitz venture capital firm sold 4.6 million shares of Facebook, while it retained an additional 3.9 millon shares.
Principal Marc Andreessen, 41, is a director of Facebook as well as of Hewlett-Packard Co. (NYSE: HPQ), the No. 1 computer company. He's friendly with co-founder Mark Zuckerberg, 28, and was among his early venture investors.
Andreessen was the inventor of the Mosaic web browser while still a student at the University of Illinois. That was the basis of Netscape Communications Corp., one of the pioneers of the first Internet boom.
His Menlo Park, Calif., investment firm, which has taken investments from New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, was also restricted by so-called “lockup” provisions from selling until this week.
Other firms, such as Accel Partners, sold part of their holdings in the IPO and several early investors, including Peter Thiel and Dustin Moskovitz sold their entire investments earlier this year.
Zuckerberg, who cashed out about $3 billion worth of Facebook shares in the IPO, has promised not to sell more until sometime next year.
Facebook's market capitalization is now about $48 billion, or 42 percent below its value in the IPO.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Dark Souls 2 Crown Of The Old Iron King’ DLC For PlayStation 3, XBox 360 And PC Released On Aug. 26, 2014 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Windows Phone 8.1, Nokia Lumia Cyan Update: All Supported Devices In Various Regions As Of August
- Robin Williams to Be Honoured As A Character In 'World Of Warcraft: Warlords Of Draenor'
- Hypersonic Travel: Can Space Tourism be a Possibility
- Nokia Lumia 530: Windows Phone Handset Now On Sale In The UK With £87 Price
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements