Facebook Shares Resume Fall After Andreessen Horowitz Sells Majority Of Stake
By David Zielenziger | November 16, 2012 7:34 AM EST
Shares of Facebook (Nasdaq: FB) resumed their fall after director and early investor Marc Andreessen cashed out a big position.
In late Thursday trading, Facebook fell 37 cents to $21.99 after Wednesday's unexpected surge of 13 percent despite the availabilty of 800 million new shares of the Menlo Park, Calif., company eligible for sale by employees who'd been barred from selling since the May initial public offering.
On Tuesday, before the big run-up, the Andreessen Horowitz venture capital firm sold 4.6 million shares of Facebook, while it retained an additional 3.9 millon shares.
Principal Marc Andreessen, 41, is a director of Facebook as well as of Hewlett-Packard Co. (NYSE: HPQ), the No. 1 computer company. He's friendly with co-founder Mark Zuckerberg, 28, and was among his early venture investors.
Andreessen was the inventor of the Mosaic web browser while still a student at the University of Illinois. That was the basis of Netscape Communications Corp., one of the pioneers of the first Internet boom.
His Menlo Park, Calif., investment firm, which has taken investments from New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, was also restricted by so-called “lockup” provisions from selling until this week.
Other firms, such as Accel Partners, sold part of their holdings in the IPO and several early investors, including Peter Thiel and Dustin Moskovitz sold their entire investments earlier this year.
Zuckerberg, who cashed out about $3 billion worth of Facebook shares in the IPO, has promised not to sell more until sometime next year.
Facebook's market capitalization is now about $48 billion, or 42 percent below its value in the IPO.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Upcoming Games For Xbox One 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Sony Xperia C3: Features, Specs and Performance Compared
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown