Skyrim DLC 'Dragonborn' Release Approaches: First Screenshots And Gameplay Details Emerge [TRAILER]
By Lisa Eadicicco | November 16, 2012 5:30 AM EST
Developer Bethesda Softworks announced on Thursday the key features players can expect in upcoming expansion for “The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.” Known as “Dragonborn,” this is the second DLC for Skyrim that will incorporate new quests, missions and heavy gameplay content.
The company also published a gallery of screenshots from the upcoming DLC, which can be viewed here.
Dragonborn will take players back to the familiar territory of Morrowind, specifically to the island of Solstheim. Bethesda teases that players will be able to “become more powerful with shouts that bend the will of you enemies and even tame dragons.” Although players are returning to Morrowind, they will be encountering new lands filled with “ash wastes and glacial valleys.”
“Your fate, and the fate of Solstheim, hangs in the balance as you face off against your deadliest adversary—the first Dragonborn,” writes Bethesda.
Below are the key features listed on the official Dragonborn website:
Explore Beyond Skyrim- Leave the province of Skyrim and travel to the coastal island of Solstheim. Encounter the Dark Elven settlers of Raven Rockland the native Skaal, as you unravel the mystery of a Dragonborn’s return.
Become the Ultimate Dragonborn- Harness the power of the Voice as you face off against the first Dragonborn. Wield new shouts and spells including Dragon Aspect—allowing you to summon the inner power of a dragon to deliver colossal blows and strengthen other shouts.
New Powers- Discover dark powers as you journey into a new Daedric realm. Collect books of forbidden knowledge and choose new paths for your skills and abilities.
New dungeons, creatures, weapons, and more - Suit up in Bonemold and Chitin armors and wield Stalhrim weapons as you navigate through a myriad of dungeons. Battle formidable foes like Ash Spawn, Rieklings, and more.
Dragonborn will be released for the Xbox 360 on Dec. 4 for 1600 Microsoft Points. Bethesda officially unveiled the DLC and revealed its trailer to the world 10 days ago on Nov. 5.
Just a few weeks before Dragonborn’s official unveiling, some observant Skyrim players noticed files called “DLC2” in the game’s most recent update. Bethesda also hinted that the name of the next Skyrim expansion would be Dragonborn when it filed a patent for the term back in May.
The trademark was little short of a confirmation that new DLC was underway, as the description said the patent pertained to “computer game software use with computer and video game consoles; downloadable computer game software offered via the Internet and wireless devices.”
As Bethesda rolls out more content for Xbox players, those playing on the PS3 have yet to see any DLCs. Dragonborn, however, will be the third expansion for Xbox 360 gamers.
Bethesda released the Dawnguard expansion in June, which allowed players to either become a vampire or undertake a mission to fend off the blood sucking undead. The Hearthfire DLC , which launched in September, gave Skyrim fans the ability to enhance their characters lives by building a home, adopting children, etc.
PS3 players haven’t been shy about their dissatisfaction with Bethesda’s progress on these DLCs, as the company’s Vice President of Marketing Pete Hines is usually the target of fan Twitter aggression.
Last week, however, Bethesda gave fans a bit of hope when the studio’s official Twitter account sent the following tweet:
“To update: we’re also close on new Skyrim content for PS3 and PC.”
Bethesda has not elaborated further on this detail nor have they specified a launch window, but hopefully PS3 owners will be seeing some new content as Dragonborn rolls out.
Check out the trailer below to catch a preview of the upcoming Skyrim DLC.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- 'The Sims 4' Official Mac Release: More Features Aside From Pools Expected To Be Included
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including Character Undelete, Class Balancing And New Bug Fixes
- Motorola Nexus 6 vs. Sony Xperia Z3: Features On New Nexus To Match Latest Sony Phone
- Motorola Nexus 6 v HTC One M8, One M7: Reasons How New Nexus Can Match HTC Flagship Phones
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia