WWII Letters of Forgotten Love Washed Ashore by Hurricane Sandy
By Umberto Bacchi | November 16, 2012 5:25 AM EST
Amid the massive devastation it caused in the Caribbean and on the US East coast, Hurricane Sandy washed ashore forgotten memories of a past love.
A 14-year-old was walking on a beach of in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey the day after the area had been torn up by the superstorm, when he came across a small box.
As Patrick Chaney opened it, he found 57 love letters tied with a ribbon dating back to the 1940s'.
Patrick and his mother Kathleen dried the letters in front their fireplace, since their home was one of the thousands left without power by Sandy, and started reading the passionate correspondence that a young couple of lovers exchanged in their years apart between 1942 and 1948.
In those years Dorothy Fallon lived in New Jersey and her beloved Lynn Farnham was staying - for reasons not yet clear - in Vermont.
Dorothy regularly wrote to Lynn until a week before the couple was re-joined in marriage in 1948.
"Well Darling, two weeks from today and we will be married," one of the last letters read, according to NBC 4 New York.
After reading the letters, Kathleen Chaney started looking for the rightful owner.
"I wanted to return them to whoever they belonged to. They're beautiful. She obviously adored him," she told NBC 4 New York.
Unfortunately, as she found, out Lynn had long had died in 1991.
She was still able to track down a niece of the couple, who told her that 91 year-old Dorothy, was living frail health in Asbury Park, New Jersey.
Chaney said she was going to post her the letters. "I feel like Dorothy is my aunt as well," she said.
It is not clear who had the letters before and how they were taken by the tempest and returned by the sea.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best