WWII Letters of Forgotten Love Washed Ashore by Hurricane Sandy
By Umberto Bacchi | November 16, 2012 5:25 AM EST
Amid the massive devastation it caused in the Caribbean and on the US East coast, Hurricane Sandy washed ashore forgotten memories of a past love.
A 14-year-old was walking on a beach of in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey the day after the area had been torn up by the superstorm, when he came across a small box.
As Patrick Chaney opened it, he found 57 love letters tied with a ribbon dating back to the 1940s'.
Patrick and his mother Kathleen dried the letters in front their fireplace, since their home was one of the thousands left without power by Sandy, and started reading the passionate correspondence that a young couple of lovers exchanged in their years apart between 1942 and 1948.
In those years Dorothy Fallon lived in New Jersey and her beloved Lynn Farnham was staying - for reasons not yet clear - in Vermont.
Dorothy regularly wrote to Lynn until a week before the couple was re-joined in marriage in 1948.
"Well Darling, two weeks from today and we will be married," one of the last letters read, according to NBC 4 New York.
After reading the letters, Kathleen Chaney started looking for the rightful owner.
"I wanted to return them to whoever they belonged to. They're beautiful. She obviously adored him," she told NBC 4 New York.
Unfortunately, as she found, out Lynn had long had died in 1991.
She was still able to track down a niece of the couple, who told her that 91 year-old Dorothy, was living frail health in Asbury Park, New Jersey.
Chaney said she was going to post her the letters. "I feel like Dorothy is my aunt as well," she said.
It is not clear who had the letters before and how they were taken by the tempest and returned by the sea.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]