WWII Letters of Forgotten Love Washed Ashore by Hurricane Sandy
By Umberto Bacchi | November 16, 2012 5:25 AM EST
Amid the massive devastation it caused in the Caribbean and on the US East coast, Hurricane Sandy washed ashore forgotten memories of a past love.
A 14-year-old was walking on a beach of in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey the day after the area had been torn up by the superstorm, when he came across a small box.
As Patrick Chaney opened it, he found 57 love letters tied with a ribbon dating back to the 1940s'.
Patrick and his mother Kathleen dried the letters in front their fireplace, since their home was one of the thousands left without power by Sandy, and started reading the passionate correspondence that a young couple of lovers exchanged in their years apart between 1942 and 1948.
In those years Dorothy Fallon lived in New Jersey and her beloved Lynn Farnham was staying - for reasons not yet clear - in Vermont.
Dorothy regularly wrote to Lynn until a week before the couple was re-joined in marriage in 1948.
"Well Darling, two weeks from today and we will be married," one of the last letters read, according to NBC 4 New York.
After reading the letters, Kathleen Chaney started looking for the rightful owner.
"I wanted to return them to whoever they belonged to. They're beautiful. She obviously adored him," she told NBC 4 New York.
Unfortunately, as she found, out Lynn had long had died in 1991.
She was still able to track down a niece of the couple, who told her that 91 year-old Dorothy, was living frail health in Asbury Park, New Jersey.
Chaney said she was going to post her the letters. "I feel like Dorothy is my aunt as well," she said.
It is not clear who had the letters before and how they were taken by the tempest and returned by the sea.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Makes First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Kate Middleton To Give Birth To A 'Cheerful' Baby, Duchess Not Carrying Twins---Report
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- Naked Russian Artist Strikes Anew, Cuts Off Earlobes To Protest Return Of Soviet-Era Policies
- Australia Braces For 'Catastrophic Conditions' As Bushfire Season Begins
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Severe iPhone 6 Supply Shortage Will Last Until Q1 2015 as Apple Grapples to Meet Heavy Demand