Boeing expects 737 production to rise beyond forecasts
November 16, 2012 4:14 AM EST
The Chicago-based company also said it expected to see further increases in production rates for the single-aisle 737, its best-selling jet.
Boeing said it has decided on a "firm concept," finalizing some basic design parameters for the 737 MAX and expects it to use 13 percent less fuel, compared to the current 737s. The plane would include new LEAP-1B engines from CFM International, which combines resources from Snecma, a unit of the Safran Group of France, and General Electric Co
Honeywell was chosen to supply an electronic air-bleed system and Rockwell Collins will provide large-format panel displays for the flight deck of the new plane.
Boeing said the 737 MAX remains on track for first delivery in 2017.
Boeing is currently producing 35 737 jets a month. The company said it likely would increase its production rate beyond its current forecast, which calls for 38 a month in the second quarter of 2013, and 42 a month starting in the second quarter of 2014.
The company is currently building a third production line at its factory in Renton, Washington, to accommodate the 737 MAX, which will enter production in 2015.
"Eventually, we'll use the third line for future rate increases," Beverly Wyse, vice president and general manager of the 737 program, said on a conference call with reporters.
She said Boeing officials "expect to see significant growth" in orders for single-aisle planes. "We don't have any specific plans when that next rate increase will be, but we're pretty sure it's coming."
Boeing shares rose 0.2 percent to $71.42 in late-morning trade. (Reporting by Alwyn Scott; Editing by Theodore d'Afflisio and Jeffrey Benkoe)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3