Jordan Activists Call for Further Protests Against Government's Fuel Price Hike
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | November 16, 2012 3:22 AM EST
Activists in Jordan are calling for a third day of national protests over the rising fuel prices imposed by the government, following riots that left one protester dead.
The head of the engineers' union Abdullah Obeidat said the protests would take place in the capital Amman after noon prayers.
The government's decision to raise the prices of gasoline, cooking gas and heating fuel angered hundreds of people who took to the streets, blocked roads and set government buildings alight in the towns of Maan, Tafila and Karak.
An assault on a police station in the country's second-largest city, Irbid, left one protester killed and several injured.
However, it is thought the protests are unlikely to lead to an Arab Spring-like revolution, as the monarchy of King Abdullah is widely seen as a guarantor of stability.
The US-allied kingdom balances the interests of tribes native to the east of the Jordan river with descendants of Palestinian refugees, who are the majority.
Police used tear gas to disperse hundreds of masked youths and rioters, who rallied in outlying areas inhabited by powerful tribes.
Prime Minister Abdullah Ensour said the economic measure to lift subsidies was mandatory to avoid economic collapse caused by the high budget deficit.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff