Arsenal Transfer News: Huntelaar, Reina, Zaha and Tello Involved in Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | November 16, 2012 2:58 AM EST
Reported Arsenal target Klaas-Jan Huntelaar is set to decide on his future this winter, according to his agent Arnoldus Oosterveer. The Netherlands international is out of contract with Schalke at the end of the season and has been strongly linked with a host of Premier League clubs, including Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham and the Gunners.
However, Oosterveer has denied that any agreement has yet been made.
"There is no agreement with any English club and Klaas has not yet decided anything about his future," Oosterveer said, according to Sky Sports.
"He has not decided if he wants to play in Italy, Spain, England or stay in Germany. He is planning his future in the winter."
Huntelaar will be free to negotiate a pre-contract agreement from January and while the 29-year-old could yet decide to sign a new deal with his Bundesliga club, that option appears unlikely.
"Currently no hypothesis is rejected because in football you never know,” Oosterveer added.
"So you [will] have to wait to know Huntelaar's future."
Arsenal have also been heavily linked to young Crystal Palace star Wilfried Zaha. The winger made his debut for England against Sweden on Wednesday, just days after turning 20. Reports have suggested that Arsene Wenger would try to lure Zaha to the club in the January transfer window.
Zaha is sure to be in high demand, though, and Goal.com have claimed that it is Manchester United who will strike first in the race to claim his signature with an offer that would allow him to remain at Palace until the end of the season. With Palace currently top of the Championship and fighting to earn promotion to the Premier League, it is a deal that is likely to tempting to Zaha’s current employers.
If a move for Zaha fails, Wenger may turn his attentions to another young wide forward in the form of Barcelona’s Cristian Tello. The 21-year-old was thought to have all but agreed to a contract extension at the Camp Nou beyond the end of this season, but, according to Spanish publication Marca, negotiations have now stalled. The delay is said to be down to a disagreement over Tello’s buyout clause.
Tello has contributed three goals and three assists in 10 appearances for Barcelona this season.
While boosting his attacking options appears to be Wenger’s priority, reports have also suggested that he could make a move for a goalkeeper in order to provide competition for or to even replace Wojciech Szczesny.
Liverpool’s Pepe Reina appears to be high on Wenger’s list of targets with Metro, citing reports in Spain, becoming the latest publication to report of a renewal in Arsenal’s interest. The Spaniard was a target for Arsenal back in 2010 with Reina claiming that the Gunners had a £20 million bid rejected for his services.
Arsenal may feel that they could now secure the 30-year-old’s signature given his recent spate of errors that have led to suggestions that he could lose his place in the Liverpool first team to Brad Jones.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions