Greece seeks names of HSBC account holders in Jersey
November 16, 2012 2:35 AM EST
Greece's government has asked Britain for information on Greeks holding HSBC
The move comes after Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper reported it had been handed leaked data that identified over 8,000 people with HSBC accounts in Jersey, including celebrities and bankers.
British tax authorities and Jersey's financial watchdog are both conducting probes related to the report.
In a statement, Greece's finance ministry said Finance Minister Yannis Stournaras had formally asked his British counterpart for information on Greek citizens or Greek-based individuals with HSBC accounts in Jersey.
Greece's financial prosecutors want to investigate whether 97 Greek citizens - estimated to hold deposits worth 22.3 million euros - included in that list are tax evaders, court officials have said.
Tax authorities globally are stepping up efforts to uncover people hiding wealth in offshore accounts. Rampant tax evasion is a particularly sore subject in Greece, where anger at a wealthy elite is rising among austerity-hit Greeks reeling from waves of spending cuts imposed by EU and IMF lenders.
Last month a Greek magazine published the names of more than 2,000 Greeks with HSBC accounts in Switzerland, drawing great attention in Greece and prompting authorities to put the magazine's editor on trial for violating privacy law. He was acquitted.
(Reporting by Renee Maltezou and Deepa Babington; Editing by Hugh Lawson)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James