Greece seeks names of HSBC account holders in Jersey
November 16, 2012 2:35 AM EST
Greece's government has asked Britain for information on Greeks holding HSBC
The move comes after Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper reported it had been handed leaked data that identified over 8,000 people with HSBC accounts in Jersey, including celebrities and bankers.
British tax authorities and Jersey's financial watchdog are both conducting probes related to the report.
In a statement, Greece's finance ministry said Finance Minister Yannis Stournaras had formally asked his British counterpart for information on Greek citizens or Greek-based individuals with HSBC accounts in Jersey.
Greece's financial prosecutors want to investigate whether 97 Greek citizens - estimated to hold deposits worth 22.3 million euros - included in that list are tax evaders, court officials have said.
Tax authorities globally are stepping up efforts to uncover people hiding wealth in offshore accounts. Rampant tax evasion is a particularly sore subject in Greece, where anger at a wealthy elite is rising among austerity-hit Greeks reeling from waves of spending cuts imposed by EU and IMF lenders.
Last month a Greek magazine published the names of more than 2,000 Greeks with HSBC accounts in Switzerland, drawing great attention in Greece and prompting authorities to put the magazine's editor on trial for violating privacy law. He was acquitted.
(Reporting by Renee Maltezou and Deepa Babington; Editing by Hugh Lawson)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899