Brent Rises Along With Middle Eastern Tension
By Laura Brodbeck | November 16, 2012 12:24 AM EST
Brent crude oil found support on Wednesday and traded near $110 after tension in the Middle East renewed investor worries about supply interruptions. The commodity traded at $109.80 on Thursday, a marked improvement from Wednesday morning's prices.
The support came from a recent Israeli attack on Palestinian militants in Gaza. CNBC reported that Hamas' military chief was struck and killed in his car by an Israeli airstrike. Israeli officials are claiming that this attack will not be the end of their assault on the Gaza Strip, and that more strikes are imminent.
The ongoing fighting in Syria is also adding to the region's instability as the fighting continues into its twentieth month. The conflict, which has dragged several of Syria's neighboring countries into fighting, has already damaged an oil pipeline, confirming fears that fighting in the region could result in supply shortages.
In Iraq, several car bombs killed 14 people as a Muslim festival began to celebrate the beginning of the Islamic year. This coupled with the fact that oil exports decreased to 2.04 million barrels per day because of bad weather on Tuesday has caused investors to turn their attention to the area.
Though supply worries are supporting prices, the threat of waning demand has created a ceiling for gains. With the US fiscal cliff looming, uncertainty in the number one oil consumer has put pressure on Brent prices. Europe's economic woes are also weighing on Brent prices and as the financial crisis deepens, many are expecting things to get worse before they get better.
Copyright Benzinga. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People