Lebanese Smuggler Arrested at Johannesburg Airport After Swallowing 220 Diamonds
By Toyin Owoseje | November 16, 2012 12:02 AM EST
A Lebanese man has been arrested in South Africa on suspicion of attempting to smuggle £1.4million worth of polished diamonds out of the country in stomach.
The unidentified man was stopped by airport staff as he waited in line at a security check-point at Johannesburg airport. He was attempting to travel to Dubai.
South African police today confirmed that a 25-year-old man was in custody after a scan of his body revealed that 220 of the gems were in is digestive track.
"We nabbed him just before he went through the security checkpoint," police spokesman Paul Ramaloko told Reuters.
"We used laxatives to remove the diamonds."
South Africa is one of the world's top diamond producers and this is not the first time police have foiled an attempt to smuggle the valuable stones abroad.
In March, police arrested another Lebanese national who was attempting to smuggle £1.1 million worth of diamonds out of the country.
According to local reports, the authorities believe the two incidents care connected and both men belong to a smuggling ring.
He is scheduled to appear in court later today.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People