Lebanese Smuggler Arrested at Johannesburg Airport After Swallowing 220 Diamonds
By Toyin Owoseje | November 16, 2012 12:02 AM EST
A Lebanese man has been arrested in South Africa on suspicion of attempting to smuggle £1.4million worth of polished diamonds out of the country in stomach.
The unidentified man was stopped by airport staff as he waited in line at a security check-point at Johannesburg airport. He was attempting to travel to Dubai.
South African police today confirmed that a 25-year-old man was in custody after a scan of his body revealed that 220 of the gems were in is digestive track.
"We nabbed him just before he went through the security checkpoint," police spokesman Paul Ramaloko told Reuters.
"We used laxatives to remove the diamonds."
South Africa is one of the world's top diamond producers and this is not the first time police have foiled an attempt to smuggle the valuable stones abroad.
In March, police arrested another Lebanese national who was attempting to smuggle £1.1 million worth of diamonds out of the country.
According to local reports, the authorities believe the two incidents care connected and both men belong to a smuggling ring.
He is scheduled to appear in court later today.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28