Wal-Mart sales miss Wall Street view; shares down
November 15, 2012 11:42 PM EST
Wal-Mart Stores Inc reported quarterly sales below analysts' expectations on Thursday, with sales at established U.S. discount stores up, but not as much as Wall Street expected.
Wal-Mart shares fell 2.7 percent to $69.40 in premarket trading.
Still the world's largest retailer also said sales so far this month were better than expected in the United States as its focus on low prices has resonated in an economy where unemployment continues to be high.
Sales for the third quarter ended October 31 rose 3.4 percent to $113.20 billion. Analysts on average had forecast $114.96 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
The world's largest retailer said it had earned $3.64 billion, or $1.08 per share in the third quarter ended October 31, up from $3.34 billion, or 97 cents per share, a year earlier.
Analysts on average had forecast $1.07 a share.
(Reporting by Brad Dorfman in Chicago and Jessica Wohl in Cincinnati; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display