'Jab Tak Hai Jaan' Beats 'Son of Sardaar' at Box Office
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 15, 2012 6:31 PM EST
Bollywood biggies "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" and "Son of Sardaar," which were released on Tuesday (Diwali), did exceptionally well at the box office, earning over Rs. 10 crore each on the opening day, but it's the former that walked away with the bigger share of revenue.
"Jab Tak Hai Jaan" and "Son of Sardaar" not only clashed at the box office but also in real life with "SOS" producer Ajay Devgn accusing Yash Raj Films of monopolistic practices in promoting its film.
"JTHJ" has beaten "SOS" in terms of first day collection by a few crores but the good news is both the films had a great opening and are on the verge of becoming big hits.
Trade analyst and film critic Taran Adarsh tweeted that the first day collection of "JTHJ" from 2,500 screens was Rs. 15.23 crore while that of "SOS" was Rs. 10.72 crore from 2,000 screens.
The collections of "JTHJ" from overseas are way ahead of "SOS."
Taran Adarsh revealed that "JTHJ" earned Rs 2.91 crore from UK in two days while "SOS" collected Rs 68.14 lakh. "JTHJ USA figures have come in. Collects $330,000 [Rs 1.81 cr] on Tuesday. FANTABULOUS!" he tweeted.
"NEW ZEALAND: #JTHJ released on *Wed*. Collected NZ$ 23,692 from 12 locations [Rs 10.58 lacs]. First day biz better than 2-day biz of #SOS," tweeted Taran, referring to Rs 10.28 lakh collection of "SOS" in two days.
In Australia, "JTHJ" earned Rs. 82.97 lakh in the first two days of screening while "SOS" collected Rs. 49.71 lakh, tweeted Taran.
"Son of Sardaar," featuring Ajay Devgn, Sonakshi Sinha, Sanjay Dutt and Chuhi Chawla, was released in about 2,000 screens worldwide on Tuesday, and "Jab Tak Hai Jaan", featuring Shah Rukh Khan, Katrina Kaif and Anushka Sharma, was released in about 2,500 screens worldwide.
Interestingly, the producers of "SOS" and "JTHJ" are fighting over an issue related to these films.
Ajay Devgn, producer of "SOS", has accused Yash Raj Films of monopolistic practices in promoting "JTHJ." He has approached the Appellate Tribunal after the Competition Commission of India (CCI) rejected his plea.
The Appellate Tribunal has ordered an enquiry into Devgn's allegation but didn't stay the release of "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" as it could lead to irreparable financial loss.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘General Hospital’ Spoilers From Nov. 24-28, 2014 Plus Additional Spoilers For Dec. 1, 2014: Thanksgiving In Port Charles
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 7 Major Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Thoughtful in ‘Crossed’
- Taylor Swift And Harry Styles Spotted Together Enjoying A Concert; Songstress ‘Still Not Over’ 1D Singer—Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon