Australia 1st on List of Countries with Best Cigarette Package Health Warnings
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 15, 2012 5:16 PM EST
The report, released earlier this week in Seoul during the fifth session of the Conference of the Parties to the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, ranked 198 countries and jurisdictions on the size of their health warnings on cigarette packages.
Australia topped all the countries as the report found that cigarettes manufactured by the country contained more than 82 per cent of health warnings both at the front and back of packages. It likewise lauded Australia's efforts to prohibit tobacco company colours, logo and design elements on the branded part of the package.
Uruguay and Sri Lanka tied at second spot at 80 per cent, while Canada and Brunei likewise shared the third spot at 75 per cent.
"Package warnings are a highly cost-effective means to increase awareness of the health effects and to reduce the use of tobacco. A picture says a thousand words. Pictures can convey a message with far more impact than a text-only message," Rob Cunningham, senior policy analyst at the Canadian Cancer Society, said in a statement.
The Canadian Cancer Society releases the report every two years since 2008. It reviews and ranks the cigarette health warnings at the international level and tracks developments in this important area of tobacco control. The most significant progress since the last report is Australia's adoption of plain packaging for tobacco products, with an implementation date of December 1, 2012, at the retail level.
"Plain packaging would curb the industry's use of the package as a promotional vehicle, would increase the effectiveness of package warnings, would curb package deception, and would decrease tobacco use," the report's authors said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales