Leonid Meteor Shower Expected to Peak on November 17
By Jenalyn Villamarin | November 15, 2012 3:48 PM EST
Spectators are hoping the skies will cooperate as the Leonid meteor shower reaches its actual peak on November 17 at 3 a.m. EST. The weather may be unpleasantly cold but the skies ought to be clear for a fantastic view of this year's meteor shower over Des Plaines.
The 2012 Leonid meteor shower, similar to all of the other meteor showers, will be noticeable for a couple of nights before and after its peak time. A moonless sky may increase the meteor shower's clear view. If the moon has already set at the peak time, its dazzling radiance will not wash out the Leonid meteor shower's visibility.
The Leonid meteor shower is well-known for causing massive number of meteor storms over the centuries. Though no meteor storm has been predicted for 2012, Leonid is still expected to supply a spectacular meteor shower since there is also no moon interference with them this year.
According to Astronomy.com, these meteors travel around 40 miles per second and can leave behind trails of smoke. Also, Space.com stated: "Leonids are spawned by the comet Tempel-Tuttle. Every 33 years, it rounds the Sun and then goes back to the outer solar system. On each passage across Earth's orbit, Tempel-Tuttle lays down another trail of debris."
For some years now, the Leonids have been coined as a meteor storm rather than a meteor shower. However, reports suggest that this year will only be limited to at least 10-15 meteors per hour. The last Leonid storm, with thousands of shooting stars per hour, was back in 2002.
Meanwhile, MSNBC reports the Leonid meteor shower display will have two peaks of activity. "One is on Saturday morning and another on Tuesday morning (November 20). Fireballs may be seen with the naked eye."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko