Leonid Meteor Shower Expected to Peak on November 17
By Jenalyn Villamarin | November 15, 2012 3:48 PM EST
Spectators are hoping the skies will cooperate as the Leonid meteor shower reaches its actual peak on November 17 at 3 a.m. EST. The weather may be unpleasantly cold but the skies ought to be clear for a fantastic view of this year's meteor shower over Des Plaines.
The 2012 Leonid meteor shower, similar to all of the other meteor showers, will be noticeable for a couple of nights before and after its peak time. A moonless sky may increase the meteor shower's clear view. If the moon has already set at the peak time, its dazzling radiance will not wash out the Leonid meteor shower's visibility.
The Leonid meteor shower is well-known for causing massive number of meteor storms over the centuries. Though no meteor storm has been predicted for 2012, Leonid is still expected to supply a spectacular meteor shower since there is also no moon interference with them this year.
According to Astronomy.com, these meteors travel around 40 miles per second and can leave behind trails of smoke. Also, Space.com stated: "Leonids are spawned by the comet Tempel-Tuttle. Every 33 years, it rounds the Sun and then goes back to the outer solar system. On each passage across Earth's orbit, Tempel-Tuttle lays down another trail of debris."
For some years now, the Leonids have been coined as a meteor storm rather than a meteor shower. However, reports suggest that this year will only be limited to at least 10-15 meteors per hour. The last Leonid storm, with thousands of shooting stars per hour, was back in 2002.
Meanwhile, MSNBC reports the Leonid meteor shower display will have two peaks of activity. "One is on Saturday morning and another on Tuesday morning (November 20). Fireballs may be seen with the naked eye."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans