Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 11/15/2012
November 15, 2012 1:36 PM EST
Local stocks have hit a seven week low in the early session, dragged down by more falls on US and European markets overnight. Key banking, energy and mining stocks are all in the red, with the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) down 45.5pts or 1pct to 4365.2.
One bright spot is the retailers after Myer Limited (MYR) reported a one percent lift in first quarter sales, thanks to recent rate cuts which have sent consumers back to the shops. The department store's sales in the thirteen weeks to October 27 totalled $688 million, while on a comparable stores basis, sales were up 0.8pct on the previous period. MYR has risen 5.8pct in early trade to $2.115 while rival David Jones (DJS) is up 4pct to $2.555.
Qantas Airways (QAN) is also trading higher, up 4.5pct to $1.285, after announcing it will spend $100 million to buy back about 4pct of its issued stocks in a move to strengthen its dwindling share price. Virgin Australia (VAH) is lower, down 4pct to $0.49.
Graincorp (GNC) has today announced a 19pct rise in annual profit to $204.9 million, and said its current harvest is proceeding well. All of the company´s business units - storage, marketing, malt and mills - posted a strong performance in the year to September. However Graincorp has walked away from a $2.7 billion takeover offer from US food processing giant Archer Daniels Midland, claiming the $11.75 per share offer is too low. Most analysts agree and shareholders have responded well to GNC's decision, sending its share price up 0.2pct to $12.20.
The Australian dollar is worth US103.61c, £0.6538 and €81.4c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Russia Succeeds Where US Fails: ISS NASA Antares Rocket Explosion Meant to Happen; Russia Successfully Launches Cargo Ship
- FIFA May Keep Russia and Ukraine Apart in World Cup 2018
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness