Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 11/15/2012
November 15, 2012 1:36 PM EST
Local stocks have hit a seven week low in the early session, dragged down by more falls on US and European markets overnight. Key banking, energy and mining stocks are all in the red, with the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) down 45.5pts or 1pct to 4365.2.
One bright spot is the retailers after Myer Limited (MYR) reported a one percent lift in first quarter sales, thanks to recent rate cuts which have sent consumers back to the shops. The department store's sales in the thirteen weeks to October 27 totalled $688 million, while on a comparable stores basis, sales were up 0.8pct on the previous period. MYR has risen 5.8pct in early trade to $2.115 while rival David Jones (DJS) is up 4pct to $2.555.
Qantas Airways (QAN) is also trading higher, up 4.5pct to $1.285, after announcing it will spend $100 million to buy back about 4pct of its issued stocks in a move to strengthen its dwindling share price. Virgin Australia (VAH) is lower, down 4pct to $0.49.
Graincorp (GNC) has today announced a 19pct rise in annual profit to $204.9 million, and said its current harvest is proceeding well. All of the company´s business units - storage, marketing, malt and mills - posted a strong performance in the year to September. However Graincorp has walked away from a $2.7 billion takeover offer from US food processing giant Archer Daniels Midland, claiming the $11.75 per share offer is too low. Most analysts agree and shareholders have responded well to GNC's decision, sending its share price up 0.2pct to $12.20.
The Australian dollar is worth US103.61c, £0.6538 and €81.4c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Jennifer Lawrence's Nude Photos Leaked on Find My iPhone, Apple 'Outraged' But Says Systems 'Not Breached'
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged