ESPN Typo Reading 'Drink and Drunk' May Be More Truth Than Fiction
By Eric Brown | November 15, 2012 12:25 PM EST
A typo recently aired on ESPN may have contained more truth than fiction.
The cable sports channel recently ran a typo related to Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on its side-screen ticker page during “Monday Night Football.” The typo, presumably meant to refer to Roethlisberger’s signature “dink and dunk” playing style, read instead “drink and drunk.”
The glitch might have gone unnoticed for most players, but Roethlisberger has a history of alcohol abuse. In fact, he got a four-game suspension for his drunken escapades a few years back.
Because of the connection to Roethlisberger’s hard-drinking image, many wonder whether the graphic was indeed a typo or if a station programmer was having fun at the player’s expense.
In any case, ESPN host Chris Berman has apologized for the on-air error.
“Earlier in the show we had a graphic error in the rundown,” Berman said on air. “We apologize for the mistake. Not sure how it happened. It won’t happen again.”
Some fans have found the “drink and drunk” typo funny, while others think Berman’s appology was too little, too late.
“Hahaaa if this was a joke and not really a typo.. I want to high five the guy who did it.. very funny,” wrote one fan on Twitter.
The sports blog Deadspin, however, wrote that Berman delivered “the most vague apology possible” on ESPN and that the typo was in all likelihood no accident.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date