ESPN Typo Reading 'Drink and Drunk' May Be More Truth Than Fiction
By Eric Brown | November 15, 2012 12:25 PM EST
A typo recently aired on ESPN may have contained more truth than fiction.
The cable sports channel recently ran a typo related to Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on its side-screen ticker page during “Monday Night Football.” The typo, presumably meant to refer to Roethlisberger’s signature “dink and dunk” playing style, read instead “drink and drunk.”
The glitch might have gone unnoticed for most players, but Roethlisberger has a history of alcohol abuse. In fact, he got a four-game suspension for his drunken escapades a few years back.
Because of the connection to Roethlisberger’s hard-drinking image, many wonder whether the graphic was indeed a typo or if a station programmer was having fun at the player’s expense.
In any case, ESPN host Chris Berman has apologized for the on-air error.
“Earlier in the show we had a graphic error in the rundown,” Berman said on air. “We apologize for the mistake. Not sure how it happened. It won’t happen again.”
Some fans have found the “drink and drunk” typo funny, while others think Berman’s appology was too little, too late.
“Hahaaa if this was a joke and not really a typo.. I want to high five the guy who did it.. very funny,” wrote one fan on Twitter.
The sports blog Deadspin, however, wrote that Berman delivered “the most vague apology possible” on ESPN and that the typo was in all likelihood no accident.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change