ESPN Typo Reading 'Drink and Drunk' May Be More Truth Than Fiction
By Eric Brown | November 15, 2012 12:25 PM EST
A typo recently aired on ESPN may have contained more truth than fiction.
The cable sports channel recently ran a typo related to Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on its side-screen ticker page during “Monday Night Football.” The typo, presumably meant to refer to Roethlisberger’s signature “dink and dunk” playing style, read instead “drink and drunk.”
The glitch might have gone unnoticed for most players, but Roethlisberger has a history of alcohol abuse. In fact, he got a four-game suspension for his drunken escapades a few years back.
Because of the connection to Roethlisberger’s hard-drinking image, many wonder whether the graphic was indeed a typo or if a station programmer was having fun at the player’s expense.
In any case, ESPN host Chris Berman has apologized for the on-air error.
“Earlier in the show we had a graphic error in the rundown,” Berman said on air. “We apologize for the mistake. Not sure how it happened. It won’t happen again.”
Some fans have found the “drink and drunk” typo funny, while others think Berman’s appology was too little, too late.
“Hahaaa if this was a joke and not really a typo.. I want to high five the guy who did it.. very funny,” wrote one fan on Twitter.
The sports blog Deadspin, however, wrote that Berman delivered “the most vague apology possible” on ESPN and that the typo was in all likelihood no accident.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports