The Winklevoss Twins Now Own $134 Million In Facebook Stock
By Eric Brown | November 15, 2012 12:10 PM EST
While “The Social Network” portrayed Mark Zuckerberg’s Harvard classmates the Winklevoss twins as losers in the battle for Facebook, Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss may be the ones laughing now — their share in Facebook is now worth roughly $134 million.
According to Yahoo Finance, the pair of Harvard graduates received roughly 6 million shares of Facebook stock in 2008 in a settlement with Zuckerberg and company over their claims that he stole their idea.
As of Wednesday, their stake was worth about $134 million as Facebook shares are worth $22.36.
While the Winklevoss twins have been outspoken critics of Zuckerberg and Facebook, they say they don’t plan to sell the majority of their shares any time soon. Instead, they will only be selling about $1 million worth.
According to Yahoo Finance, the pair will be investing the money from the sale in a new e-commerce website called Hukkster.com.
Previously, the Winklevoss twins had invested their money in an invite-only social network called SumZero, which was just for Harvard graduates.
The Winklevoss twins acquired their stock in Facebook after a years-long dispute over ownership of the website. The pair had initially hired Zuckerberg to develop a website for them, when Zuckerberg abandoned the project to develop Facebook. The Winklevosses, however, alleged that Zuckerberg stole code from their earlier project.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate