Derrick Rose Return Update: When Will The Chicago Bulls Star PG Be Back at Full Strength?
November 15, 2012 9:15 AM EST
Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose is right on schedule rehabbing his torn anterior cruciate ligament, but his return to the court is still in question.
Now cutting on the injured left knee Bulls head coach Tom Thibodeau said Rose’s rehab is moving along well.
"It's the next step for him," Tom Thibodeau said to ESPN Chicago. "Everything is going according to plan; he's not ahead of schedule, he's not behind schedule, he's exactly where he should be."
That’s good news for Chicago and for Rose, whose game is built around his speed and ability to stop on a dime. When he was taken No. 1 overall in 2008, Rose was lauded for his amazing athletic ability, and burst into the league with high-flying dunks and blistering fastbreaks.
The 2011 Most Valuable Player sustained the injury in Chicago’s first playoff game last season and doctors said then that he could miss eight to 12 months of action. He had surgery to fix the tear in May, and vowed to return this season.
Rose’s determination aside, Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf confirmed in August that the team will not rush their young star back.
"I'm not going to let him back until the doctors tell me that it's absolutely safe for him to come back," Reinsdorf said. "I made that mistake with Michael Jordan years ago where I think we let him come back too soon. It worked out OK, but it might not have.”
The best case scenario for Rose's return would be early 2013, but the Bulls have found ways to win without the star.
Chicago has plugged away for a 4-3 record this season. Forward Luol Deng is leading the team in scoring with 18.9 points per contest, and free agent signing Kirk Hinrich is tops in assist with five a game. The Bulls are also fifth in the league averaging 24 assists and have continued the excellent defense Thibodeau installed when he arrived in 2010, letting up a little over 90 points a game.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People