Fed Minutes Hint at QE3 Expansion, Precious Metals Hold Firm
By jturbin | November 15, 2012 6:57 AM EST
The latest Federal Reserve minutes, a recap of last month’s Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) meeting, noted that many central bankers are in favor of expanding the Fed’s third-round of quantitative easing (QE3).
“Looking ahead, a number of participants indicated that additional asset purchases would likely be appropriate next year after the conclusion of the maturity extension program in order to achieve a substantial improvement in the labor market,” the minutes stated.
The maturity extension program refers to Operation Twist, which is scheduled to end on December 31st, and consists of $45 billion in purchase of longer-term U.S. Treasuries and $45 billion in sales of short-term U.S. Treasuries per month. QE3, meanwhile, is currently comprised of $40 billion in purchases of mortgage-backed securities per month.
The Ben Bernanke-led central bank did not mention the size of any potential QE3 expansion under consideration, however.
(Visit GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com for more analysis on the Federal Reserve and its impact on gold and silver prices)
Following the release of the Fed minutes, gold futures initially climbed to $1,734.10 per ounce but soon after pared their gains on the way back toward $1,730. Silver futures extended their gains as well, to as high as $32.93, but later retreated toward $32.70 per ounce.
The full version of the minutes is available at the Federal Reserve’s website.
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports