Fed Minutes Hint at QE3 Expansion, Precious Metals Hold Firm
By jturbin | November 15, 2012 6:57 AM EST
The latest Federal Reserve minutes, a recap of last month’s Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) meeting, noted that many central bankers are in favor of expanding the Fed’s third-round of quantitative easing (QE3).
“Looking ahead, a number of participants indicated that additional asset purchases would likely be appropriate next year after the conclusion of the maturity extension program in order to achieve a substantial improvement in the labor market,” the minutes stated.
The maturity extension program refers to Operation Twist, which is scheduled to end on December 31st, and consists of $45 billion in purchase of longer-term U.S. Treasuries and $45 billion in sales of short-term U.S. Treasuries per month. QE3, meanwhile, is currently comprised of $40 billion in purchases of mortgage-backed securities per month.
The Ben Bernanke-led central bank did not mention the size of any potential QE3 expansion under consideration, however.
(Visit GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com for more analysis on the Federal Reserve and its impact on gold and silver prices)
Following the release of the Fed minutes, gold futures initially climbed to $1,734.10 per ounce but soon after pared their gains on the way back toward $1,730. Silver futures extended their gains as well, to as high as $32.93, but later retreated toward $32.70 per ounce.
The full version of the minutes is available at the Federal Reserve’s website.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans