Fed Minutes Hint at QE3 Expansion, Precious Metals Hold Firm
By jturbin | November 15, 2012 6:57 AM EST
The latest Federal Reserve minutes, a recap of last month’s Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) meeting, noted that many central bankers are in favor of expanding the Fed’s third-round of quantitative easing (QE3).
“Looking ahead, a number of participants indicated that additional asset purchases would likely be appropriate next year after the conclusion of the maturity extension program in order to achieve a substantial improvement in the labor market,” the minutes stated.
The maturity extension program refers to Operation Twist, which is scheduled to end on December 31st, and consists of $45 billion in purchase of longer-term U.S. Treasuries and $45 billion in sales of short-term U.S. Treasuries per month. QE3, meanwhile, is currently comprised of $40 billion in purchases of mortgage-backed securities per month.
The Ben Bernanke-led central bank did not mention the size of any potential QE3 expansion under consideration, however.
(Visit GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com for more analysis on the Federal Reserve and its impact on gold and silver prices)
Following the release of the Fed minutes, gold futures initially climbed to $1,734.10 per ounce but soon after pared their gains on the way back toward $1,730. Silver futures extended their gains as well, to as high as $32.93, but later retreated toward $32.70 per ounce.
The full version of the minutes is available at the Federal Reserve’s website.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS