Fed Minutes Hint at QE3 Expansion, Precious Metals Hold Firm
By jturbin | November 15, 2012 6:57 AM EST
The latest Federal Reserve minutes, a recap of last month’s Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) meeting, noted that many central bankers are in favor of expanding the Fed’s third-round of quantitative easing (QE3).
“Looking ahead, a number of participants indicated that additional asset purchases would likely be appropriate next year after the conclusion of the maturity extension program in order to achieve a substantial improvement in the labor market,” the minutes stated.
The maturity extension program refers to Operation Twist, which is scheduled to end on December 31st, and consists of $45 billion in purchase of longer-term U.S. Treasuries and $45 billion in sales of short-term U.S. Treasuries per month. QE3, meanwhile, is currently comprised of $40 billion in purchases of mortgage-backed securities per month.
The Ben Bernanke-led central bank did not mention the size of any potential QE3 expansion under consideration, however.
(Visit GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com for more analysis on the Federal Reserve and its impact on gold and silver prices)
Following the release of the Fed minutes, gold futures initially climbed to $1,734.10 per ounce but soon after pared their gains on the way back toward $1,730. Silver futures extended their gains as well, to as high as $32.93, but later retreated toward $32.70 per ounce.
The full version of the minutes is available at the Federal Reserve’s website.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1