Wilshere Delivers his Verdict on Wenger’s Summer Signings
By Adrian Back | November 15, 2012 5:45 AM EST
Jack Wilshere has spoken for the first time about the new Arsenal arrivals who have been handed the unenviable task of replacing some of the biggest names at the club.
While Wilshere was recovering from a string of serious injuries, he was forced to watch from the sidelines as the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Gael Clichy, Alex Song and Robin van Persie all departed for pastures new.
The England international had broken into the Arsenal side while playing alongside this array of talent, but returned to action surrounded my new faces all hoping to impress the Emirates faithful.
In total, six of the players who started Wilshere's comeback game against Queens Park Ranger were not at the club for his previous Premier League appearance back in May 2011 against Fulham.
Per Mertesacker, Andre Santos and Mikel Artetea all arrived in the summer of 2011, while the following year saw Olivier Giroud, Lukas Podolski and Santi Cazorla make the move to north London.
While many have questioned the logic in allowing these players to leave Arsenal, manager Arsene Wenger has always believed that he has found suitable replacements and that the club can still compete for silverware this season.
Wilshere has also lent his support to the French boss by speaking in a positive manner about the players that have arrived at Arsenal this summer.
"It is strange because last time I played was with Fabregas, Nasri, Alex Song [and] Robin van Persie," Wilshere told Arsenal's official website. "Now there's the likes of Podolski, Giroud, Cazorla [and] Arteta.
"I think the boss has done excellently. He's bought well. These players are proper footballers - they understand the game and they've been around. You look at someone like Lukas Podolski, he's got over 100 caps for his country.
"They're top players and it's easy to come into a team where they understand football so well. To play with someone like Santi Cazorla is so easy. He understands football, even little things like the pace of the pass he gives you, and his movement is outstanding."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports