Wilshere Delivers his Verdict on Wenger’s Summer Signings
By Adrian Back | November 15, 2012 5:45 AM EST
Jack Wilshere has spoken for the first time about the new Arsenal arrivals who have been handed the unenviable task of replacing some of the biggest names at the club.
While Wilshere was recovering from a string of serious injuries, he was forced to watch from the sidelines as the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Gael Clichy, Alex Song and Robin van Persie all departed for pastures new.
The England international had broken into the Arsenal side while playing alongside this array of talent, but returned to action surrounded my new faces all hoping to impress the Emirates faithful.
In total, six of the players who started Wilshere's comeback game against Queens Park Ranger were not at the club for his previous Premier League appearance back in May 2011 against Fulham.
Per Mertesacker, Andre Santos and Mikel Artetea all arrived in the summer of 2011, while the following year saw Olivier Giroud, Lukas Podolski and Santi Cazorla make the move to north London.
While many have questioned the logic in allowing these players to leave Arsenal, manager Arsene Wenger has always believed that he has found suitable replacements and that the club can still compete for silverware this season.
Wilshere has also lent his support to the French boss by speaking in a positive manner about the players that have arrived at Arsenal this summer.
"It is strange because last time I played was with Fabregas, Nasri, Alex Song [and] Robin van Persie," Wilshere told Arsenal's official website. "Now there's the likes of Podolski, Giroud, Cazorla [and] Arteta.
"I think the boss has done excellently. He's bought well. These players are proper footballers - they understand the game and they've been around. You look at someone like Lukas Podolski, he's got over 100 caps for his country.
"They're top players and it's easy to come into a team where they understand football so well. To play with someone like Santi Cazorla is so easy. He understands football, even little things like the pace of the pass he gives you, and his movement is outstanding."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015