Wilshere Delivers his Verdict on Wenger’s Summer Signings
By Adrian Back | November 15, 2012 5:45 AM EST
Jack Wilshere has spoken for the first time about the new Arsenal arrivals who have been handed the unenviable task of replacing some of the biggest names at the club.
While Wilshere was recovering from a string of serious injuries, he was forced to watch from the sidelines as the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Gael Clichy, Alex Song and Robin van Persie all departed for pastures new.
The England international had broken into the Arsenal side while playing alongside this array of talent, but returned to action surrounded my new faces all hoping to impress the Emirates faithful.
In total, six of the players who started Wilshere's comeback game against Queens Park Ranger were not at the club for his previous Premier League appearance back in May 2011 against Fulham.
Per Mertesacker, Andre Santos and Mikel Artetea all arrived in the summer of 2011, while the following year saw Olivier Giroud, Lukas Podolski and Santi Cazorla make the move to north London.
While many have questioned the logic in allowing these players to leave Arsenal, manager Arsene Wenger has always believed that he has found suitable replacements and that the club can still compete for silverware this season.
Wilshere has also lent his support to the French boss by speaking in a positive manner about the players that have arrived at Arsenal this summer.
"It is strange because last time I played was with Fabregas, Nasri, Alex Song [and] Robin van Persie," Wilshere told Arsenal's official website. "Now there's the likes of Podolski, Giroud, Cazorla [and] Arteta.
"I think the boss has done excellently. He's bought well. These players are proper footballers - they understand the game and they've been around. You look at someone like Lukas Podolski, he's got over 100 caps for his country.
"They're top players and it's easy to come into a team where they understand football so well. To play with someone like Santi Cazorla is so easy. He understands football, even little things like the pace of the pass he gives you, and his movement is outstanding."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around