Wilshere Delivers his Verdict on Wenger’s Summer Signings
By Adrian Back | November 15, 2012 5:45 AM EST
Jack Wilshere has spoken for the first time about the new Arsenal arrivals who have been handed the unenviable task of replacing some of the biggest names at the club.
While Wilshere was recovering from a string of serious injuries, he was forced to watch from the sidelines as the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri, Gael Clichy, Alex Song and Robin van Persie all departed for pastures new.
The England international had broken into the Arsenal side while playing alongside this array of talent, but returned to action surrounded my new faces all hoping to impress the Emirates faithful.
In total, six of the players who started Wilshere's comeback game against Queens Park Ranger were not at the club for his previous Premier League appearance back in May 2011 against Fulham.
Per Mertesacker, Andre Santos and Mikel Artetea all arrived in the summer of 2011, while the following year saw Olivier Giroud, Lukas Podolski and Santi Cazorla make the move to north London.
While many have questioned the logic in allowing these players to leave Arsenal, manager Arsene Wenger has always believed that he has found suitable replacements and that the club can still compete for silverware this season.
Wilshere has also lent his support to the French boss by speaking in a positive manner about the players that have arrived at Arsenal this summer.
"It is strange because last time I played was with Fabregas, Nasri, Alex Song [and] Robin van Persie," Wilshere told Arsenal's official website. "Now there's the likes of Podolski, Giroud, Cazorla [and] Arteta.
"I think the boss has done excellently. He's bought well. These players are proper footballers - they understand the game and they've been around. You look at someone like Lukas Podolski, he's got over 100 caps for his country.
"They're top players and it's easy to come into a team where they understand football so well. To play with someone like Santi Cazorla is so easy. He understands football, even little things like the pace of the pass he gives you, and his movement is outstanding."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying