BSkyB sees short-term margin dent from Premier League
November 15, 2012 5:42 AM EST
Britain's dominant pay-TV group BSkyB expects to see a short-term impact on its margins from the higher than expected cost to buy Premier League football rights, its finance officer said.
Andrew Griffith told a conference organised by Morgan Stanley that there would be a "little bit of discontinuity" to its steady improvement in margins but said it expected to recover over time.
"Clearly there is a little bit of discontinuity with the Premier League," he said. "There's a step uplift next year and then it's flat amortising for the next few years.
"So I would say don't look at the gross margin or even the EBIT margin too much on a linear year basis, but let's try and look at that over the medium term."
BSkyB and new market entrant BT agreed in June a 3 billion pounds ($4.75 billion) rights deal to show live English Premier League matches for the next three years.
BSkyB will pay 760 million pounds per season to show 116 live games - a 40 percent increase on the cost of its current deal.
($1=0.6310 British pounds)
(Reporting by Kate Holton and Paul Sandle; Editing by Mike Nesbit)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales