BSkyB sees short-term margin dent from Premier League
November 15, 2012 5:42 AM EST
Britain's dominant pay-TV group BSkyB expects to see a short-term impact on its margins from the higher than expected cost to buy Premier League football rights, its finance officer said.
Andrew Griffith told a conference organised by Morgan Stanley that there would be a "little bit of discontinuity" to its steady improvement in margins but said it expected to recover over time.
"Clearly there is a little bit of discontinuity with the Premier League," he said. "There's a step uplift next year and then it's flat amortising for the next few years.
"So I would say don't look at the gross margin or even the EBIT margin too much on a linear year basis, but let's try and look at that over the medium term."
BSkyB and new market entrant BT agreed in June a 3 billion pounds ($4.75 billion) rights deal to show live English Premier League matches for the next three years.
BSkyB will pay 760 million pounds per season to show 116 live games - a 40 percent increase on the cost of its current deal.
($1=0.6310 British pounds)
(Reporting by Kate Holton and Paul Sandle; Editing by Mike Nesbit)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists