BSkyB sees short-term margin dent from Premier League
November 15, 2012 5:42 AM EST
Britain's dominant pay-TV group BSkyB expects to see a short-term impact on its margins from the higher than expected cost to buy Premier League football rights, its finance officer said.
Andrew Griffith told a conference organised by Morgan Stanley that there would be a "little bit of discontinuity" to its steady improvement in margins but said it expected to recover over time.
"Clearly there is a little bit of discontinuity with the Premier League," he said. "There's a step uplift next year and then it's flat amortising for the next few years.
"So I would say don't look at the gross margin or even the EBIT margin too much on a linear year basis, but let's try and look at that over the medium term."
BSkyB and new market entrant BT agreed in June a 3 billion pounds ($4.75 billion) rights deal to show live English Premier League matches for the next three years.
BSkyB will pay 760 million pounds per season to show 116 live games - a 40 percent increase on the cost of its current deal.
($1=0.6310 British pounds)
(Reporting by Kate Holton and Paul Sandle; Editing by Mike Nesbit)
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes