VIDEO USA 2-2 Russia: Highlights; Diskerud Rescues Draw for Klinsmann’s Men in Russia
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 15, 2012 4:45 AM EST
The United States salvaged a 2-2 draw in Russia courtesy of substitute Mix Diskerud’s equalizer deep into injury time.
Jurgen Klinsmann’s side had trailed for the majority of the friendly international in Krasnodar after Fedor Smolov had given Russia a nine minute lead. But while Russia looked the better side for much of the encounter, the U.S. drew level through Michael Bradley before Roman Shirokov restored the home side’s lead from the penalty spot. The resolve of the visitors was shown once more, though, as Diskerud gave the side something to celebrate in their last fixture of 2012.
It has been a mixed year for the U.S. under Klinsmann as they recorded impressive victories in friendlies on the road against Italy and Mexico, but struggled to progress through to the final stage of World Cup qualifying. Ultimately, a draw in Russia will go down as another impressive friendly result ahead of the start of the Hexagonal next February.
Things did not look good for the U.S., though, as a calamitous error led to Russia’s early opener. Midfielder Danny Williams gave the ball away carelessly in his own half straight from a free kick and Smolov was quickly played in down the right of the area before finishing low past Tim Howard at his near post.
The U.S. were then grateful for several good saves from Howard to keep the score at 1-0, before Bradley popped up with a stunning leveler with 14 minutes left on the clock.
Jermaine Jones chipped to the ball to the edge of the box where substitute Juan Agudelo nodded it back for Bradley to arrive and hit a first time volley in off the post.
It looked like the Roma midfielder’s fine strike would count for nothing when Russia regained the advantage with six minutes left.
The U.S. were left cold from a chipped free-kick into the box and, with Howard staying on his line, Clarence Goodson bundled down Artem Dzyuba. The referee showed little hesitation in pointing to the spot and Shirokov stepped up and expertly sent Howard the wrong way.
There was just enough time for one final twist, as in a similar mold to their first goal, the U.S. prospered from a knock down and this time Diskerud was on hand with the shot from just outside the box that took a wicked deflection to beat Russia goalkeeper Vladimir Gabulov.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build