VIDEO USA 2-2 Russia: Highlights; Diskerud Rescues Draw for Klinsmann’s Men in Russia
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 15, 2012 4:45 AM EST
The United States salvaged a 2-2 draw in Russia courtesy of substitute Mix Diskerud’s equalizer deep into injury time.
Jurgen Klinsmann’s side had trailed for the majority of the friendly international in Krasnodar after Fedor Smolov had given Russia a nine minute lead. But while Russia looked the better side for much of the encounter, the U.S. drew level through Michael Bradley before Roman Shirokov restored the home side’s lead from the penalty spot. The resolve of the visitors was shown once more, though, as Diskerud gave the side something to celebrate in their last fixture of 2012.
It has been a mixed year for the U.S. under Klinsmann as they recorded impressive victories in friendlies on the road against Italy and Mexico, but struggled to progress through to the final stage of World Cup qualifying. Ultimately, a draw in Russia will go down as another impressive friendly result ahead of the start of the Hexagonal next February.
Things did not look good for the U.S., though, as a calamitous error led to Russia’s early opener. Midfielder Danny Williams gave the ball away carelessly in his own half straight from a free kick and Smolov was quickly played in down the right of the area before finishing low past Tim Howard at his near post.
The U.S. were then grateful for several good saves from Howard to keep the score at 1-0, before Bradley popped up with a stunning leveler with 14 minutes left on the clock.
Jermaine Jones chipped to the ball to the edge of the box where substitute Juan Agudelo nodded it back for Bradley to arrive and hit a first time volley in off the post.
It looked like the Roma midfielder’s fine strike would count for nothing when Russia regained the advantage with six minutes left.
The U.S. were left cold from a chipped free-kick into the box and, with Howard staying on his line, Clarence Goodson bundled down Artem Dzyuba. The referee showed little hesitation in pointing to the spot and Shirokov stepped up and expertly sent Howard the wrong way.
There was just enough time for one final twist, as in a similar mold to their first goal, the U.S. prospered from a knock down and this time Diskerud was on hand with the shot from just outside the box that took a wicked deflection to beat Russia goalkeeper Vladimir Gabulov.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- UFC President Dana White Says He is Very Excited for Anderson Silva’s Comeback in January
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015