VIDEO USA 2-2 Russia: Highlights; Diskerud Rescues Draw for Klinsmann’s Men in Russia
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 15, 2012 4:45 AM EST
The United States salvaged a 2-2 draw in Russia courtesy of substitute Mix Diskerud’s equalizer deep into injury time.
Jurgen Klinsmann’s side had trailed for the majority of the friendly international in Krasnodar after Fedor Smolov had given Russia a nine minute lead. But while Russia looked the better side for much of the encounter, the U.S. drew level through Michael Bradley before Roman Shirokov restored the home side’s lead from the penalty spot. The resolve of the visitors was shown once more, though, as Diskerud gave the side something to celebrate in their last fixture of 2012.
It has been a mixed year for the U.S. under Klinsmann as they recorded impressive victories in friendlies on the road against Italy and Mexico, but struggled to progress through to the final stage of World Cup qualifying. Ultimately, a draw in Russia will go down as another impressive friendly result ahead of the start of the Hexagonal next February.
Things did not look good for the U.S., though, as a calamitous error led to Russia’s early opener. Midfielder Danny Williams gave the ball away carelessly in his own half straight from a free kick and Smolov was quickly played in down the right of the area before finishing low past Tim Howard at his near post.
The U.S. were then grateful for several good saves from Howard to keep the score at 1-0, before Bradley popped up with a stunning leveler with 14 minutes left on the clock.
Jermaine Jones chipped to the ball to the edge of the box where substitute Juan Agudelo nodded it back for Bradley to arrive and hit a first time volley in off the post.
It looked like the Roma midfielder’s fine strike would count for nothing when Russia regained the advantage with six minutes left.
The U.S. were left cold from a chipped free-kick into the box and, with Howard staying on his line, Clarence Goodson bundled down Artem Dzyuba. The referee showed little hesitation in pointing to the spot and Shirokov stepped up and expertly sent Howard the wrong way.
There was just enough time for one final twist, as in a similar mold to their first goal, the U.S. prospered from a knock down and this time Diskerud was on hand with the shot from just outside the box that took a wicked deflection to beat Russia goalkeeper Vladimir Gabulov.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon