Drug Test Failure 'Shocks' Jockey Frankie Dettori
By Dominic Gover | November 15, 2012 4:37 AM EST
Champion jockey Frankie Dettori could face a lengthy racing ban after failing a drugs test in France.
Dettori, who is loved by millions outside the world of racing for his charismatic personality, declared he was in "shock" at the result.
The 41-year-old took the test following a race at the prestigious Longchamp race course in France in September. Unconfirmed reports suggested the drug discovered in the three-time champion jockey's system was cocaine.
Dettori's lawyer, Christopher Stewart-Moore, confirmed the result: "As a consequence of a positive test at Longchamp on September 16, Lanfranco Dettori will be the subject of an inquiry by the medical committee of France Galop."
Dettori returned to the course to take part in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, weeks after the test.
Following the result, Dettori pulled out of this month's Japan Cup. He is now waiting for the case to be heard next week by the medical panel of France Galop, the ruling body of French racing. If found guilty Dettori could be hit with a ban of up to six months from racing.
Such a ruling could see the jockey locked out of races around the world, if it is recognised and upheld in other countries. A lengthy ban from France Galop could potentially rule Dettori out of prestigious races including the Derby, the Oaks, the 1000 Guineas and the 2000 Guineas.
Dettori was cautioned by police for cocaine possession in 1993. He later put the episode down to being a "stupid, cocky, arrogant kid."
Dettori has racked up more than 500 race wins during his career. He left the Godolphin racing stable after 18 years last month.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]