Drug Test Failure 'Shocks' Jockey Frankie Dettori
By Dominic Gover | November 15, 2012 4:37 AM EST
Champion jockey Frankie Dettori could face a lengthy racing ban after failing a drugs test in France.
Dettori, who is loved by millions outside the world of racing for his charismatic personality, declared he was in "shock" at the result.
The 41-year-old took the test following a race at the prestigious Longchamp race course in France in September. Unconfirmed reports suggested the drug discovered in the three-time champion jockey's system was cocaine.
Dettori's lawyer, Christopher Stewart-Moore, confirmed the result: "As a consequence of a positive test at Longchamp on September 16, Lanfranco Dettori will be the subject of an inquiry by the medical committee of France Galop."
Dettori returned to the course to take part in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, weeks after the test.
Following the result, Dettori pulled out of this month's Japan Cup. He is now waiting for the case to be heard next week by the medical panel of France Galop, the ruling body of French racing. If found guilty Dettori could be hit with a ban of up to six months from racing.
Such a ruling could see the jockey locked out of races around the world, if it is recognised and upheld in other countries. A lengthy ban from France Galop could potentially rule Dettori out of prestigious races including the Derby, the Oaks, the 1000 Guineas and the 2000 Guineas.
Dettori was cautioned by police for cocaine possession in 1993. He later put the episode down to being a "stupid, cocky, arrogant kid."
Dettori has racked up more than 500 race wins during his career. He left the Godolphin racing stable after 18 years last month.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues