Male Fertility: Size Does Matter When it Comes to Sperm
By Hannah Osborne | November 15, 2012 3:22 AM EST
The age old question of does size matter appears to have been answered - yes - but only when discussing sperm.
Researchers at Brown University, in Rhode Island, have found sperm that is inconsistent in length is not as good as swimming as sperm that is the same size.
The study found that the greater the inconsistency in length - particularly the tail - the lower the concentration of sperm that can swim well.
This research offers an insight into a potential new marker in men's fertility problems.
Jim Mossman, lead author the study, said: "Our study reveals that men who produce higher concentrations of competent swimming sperm also demonstrate less variation in the size and shape of those sperm.
"It suggests that in some cases, testes are working more optimally to produce high numbers of consistently manufactured sperm, and vice versa."
The World Health Organisation considers characteristics of sperm, such as concentration and mortality, as important markers of fertility.
It is estimated that 3.5 million people in the UK have trouble conceiving, accounting for around one in six couples.
Up to one in five young men find they have a low sperm count; which is defined as fewer than 20 million sperm per millilitre of semen.
Mossman said: "The WHO suggests that measurements should be made on multiple components of sperm, but generally it's only the sperm head that is considered.
"No one's ever looked at this before across sperm components. What we show is that measurements on other sperm parts, such as the flagellum that propels the sperm, can provide additional information about the quality and consistency of sperm manufacture."
According to Mossman, this research could provide clinicians a new insight into the diagnosis and treatment of male fertility problems. "This could be an indirect marker of testis function," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air