Male Fertility: Size Does Matter When it Comes to Sperm
By Hannah Osborne | November 15, 2012 3:22 AM EST
The age old question of does size matter appears to have been answered - yes - but only when discussing sperm.
Researchers at Brown University, in Rhode Island, have found sperm that is inconsistent in length is not as good as swimming as sperm that is the same size.
The study found that the greater the inconsistency in length - particularly the tail - the lower the concentration of sperm that can swim well.
This research offers an insight into a potential new marker in men's fertility problems.
Jim Mossman, lead author the study, said: "Our study reveals that men who produce higher concentrations of competent swimming sperm also demonstrate less variation in the size and shape of those sperm.
"It suggests that in some cases, testes are working more optimally to produce high numbers of consistently manufactured sperm, and vice versa."
The World Health Organisation considers characteristics of sperm, such as concentration and mortality, as important markers of fertility.
It is estimated that 3.5 million people in the UK have trouble conceiving, accounting for around one in six couples.
Up to one in five young men find they have a low sperm count; which is defined as fewer than 20 million sperm per millilitre of semen.
Mossman said: "The WHO suggests that measurements should be made on multiple components of sperm, but generally it's only the sperm head that is considered.
"No one's ever looked at this before across sperm components. What we show is that measurements on other sperm parts, such as the flagellum that propels the sperm, can provide additional information about the quality and consistency of sperm manufacture."
According to Mossman, this research could provide clinicians a new insight into the diagnosis and treatment of male fertility problems. "This could be an indirect marker of testis function," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims