United to Compete with Anzhi For Dutch Superstar – Report
By Adrian Back | November 15, 2012 1:48 AM EST
The Premier League side have long been linked with the Holland international and reports in Russia have claimed that United are prepared to make an offer of €20million during the January transfer window.
However, it seems as though Anzhi are also hoping to sign Sneijder and are prepared to use their financial power in order to offer him an increase in wages.
The report in the Russian publication believes that Inter are prepared to offer the midfielder a new contract, but they are not prepared to keep him on the €6million-a-year that he currently earns, making him one of the highest paid players in Italy.
They believe that Sneijder is unhappy with the new proposal from Inter and that has alerted both Manchester United and Anzhi.
Sir Alex Ferguson is a known admirer of the 28-year-old but has always been put off by the wages that he would demand. However, Manchester United are still searching for a successor to Paul Scholes and the hugely talented Dutchman would certainly be able to fill that role.
The midfielders agent, Soren Lerby, has dismissed the idea that he could move to Anzhi, which could possibly leave the door open for Manchester United if they are prepared to match his wage demands.
"Wesley doesn't want to go to Anzhi. I feel that these are just rumours and I don't know where they've come from," said Lerby.
"At this point you should probably ask Anzhi and Guus Hiddink about it. It's the first time I've heard anything about it because Wes is very happy at Inter and has a great relationship with everyone."
Sneijder has enjoyed great success at Inter, winning the treble under Jose Mourinho in 2010, but has consistently been linked with a move away in recent seasons.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’