United to Compete with Anzhi For Dutch Superstar – Report
By Adrian Back | November 15, 2012 1:48 AM EST
The Premier League side have long been linked with the Holland international and reports in Russia have claimed that United are prepared to make an offer of €20million during the January transfer window.
However, it seems as though Anzhi are also hoping to sign Sneijder and are prepared to use their financial power in order to offer him an increase in wages.
The report in the Russian publication believes that Inter are prepared to offer the midfielder a new contract, but they are not prepared to keep him on the €6million-a-year that he currently earns, making him one of the highest paid players in Italy.
They believe that Sneijder is unhappy with the new proposal from Inter and that has alerted both Manchester United and Anzhi.
Sir Alex Ferguson is a known admirer of the 28-year-old but has always been put off by the wages that he would demand. However, Manchester United are still searching for a successor to Paul Scholes and the hugely talented Dutchman would certainly be able to fill that role.
The midfielders agent, Soren Lerby, has dismissed the idea that he could move to Anzhi, which could possibly leave the door open for Manchester United if they are prepared to match his wage demands.
"Wesley doesn't want to go to Anzhi. I feel that these are just rumours and I don't know where they've come from," said Lerby.
"At this point you should probably ask Anzhi and Guus Hiddink about it. It's the first time I've heard anything about it because Wes is very happy at Inter and has a great relationship with everyone."
Sneijder has enjoyed great success at Inter, winning the treble under Jose Mourinho in 2010, but has consistently been linked with a move away in recent seasons.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements