United to Compete with Anzhi For Dutch Superstar – Report
By Adrian Back | November 15, 2012 1:48 AM EST
The Premier League side have long been linked with the Holland international and reports in Russia have claimed that United are prepared to make an offer of €20million during the January transfer window.
However, it seems as though Anzhi are also hoping to sign Sneijder and are prepared to use their financial power in order to offer him an increase in wages.
The report in the Russian publication believes that Inter are prepared to offer the midfielder a new contract, but they are not prepared to keep him on the €6million-a-year that he currently earns, making him one of the highest paid players in Italy.
They believe that Sneijder is unhappy with the new proposal from Inter and that has alerted both Manchester United and Anzhi.
Sir Alex Ferguson is a known admirer of the 28-year-old but has always been put off by the wages that he would demand. However, Manchester United are still searching for a successor to Paul Scholes and the hugely talented Dutchman would certainly be able to fill that role.
The midfielders agent, Soren Lerby, has dismissed the idea that he could move to Anzhi, which could possibly leave the door open for Manchester United if they are prepared to match his wage demands.
"Wesley doesn't want to go to Anzhi. I feel that these are just rumours and I don't know where they've come from," said Lerby.
"At this point you should probably ask Anzhi and Guus Hiddink about it. It's the first time I've heard anything about it because Wes is very happy at Inter and has a great relationship with everyone."
Sneijder has enjoyed great success at Inter, winning the treble under Jose Mourinho in 2010, but has consistently been linked with a move away in recent seasons.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown