Ivory Coast President dissolves government
November 15, 2012 12:21 AM EST
Ivory Coast's President Alassane Ouattara dissolved his government on Wednesday, an unexpected move that comes as the world's top cocoa grower makes headway towards reviving its economy.
Ouattara won a November 2010 election, defeating incumbent president Laurent Gbagbo, whose refusal to accept the result triggered a four-month conflict that killed around 3,000 people.
His government continues to struggle with lingering insecurity since the war.
"The president of the republic ... ended the functions of the members of the government," Amadou Gon Coulibaly, Ouattara's secretary general, said following a cabinet meeting in the commercial capital Abidjan.
It was not clear when a new government would be named.
Since taking office last year, Ouattara, a former International Monetary Fund official, has overseen a much-lauded revival of the economy, with growth of 8.6 percent projected for 2012 following a contraction of 4.7 percent last year.
But the security services are struggling to cope with a series of armed attacks targeting military and infrastructure installations since August.
National reconciliation between rival political camps since the war, and essential security sector reform, are also lagging.
"It's quite strange, and it's quite risky," one western observer said of Ouattara's move to dissolve the government.
"He could be saying he's fed up with these guys and wants changes. It could also be a problem between (the coalition partners)," said the observer, who asked not to be named.
(Reporting by Loucoumane Coulibaly and Joe Bavier; Writing by David Lewis; Editing by Richard Valdmanis and Tom Pfeiffer)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet