Ivory Coast President dissolves government
November 15, 2012 12:21 AM EST
Ivory Coast's President Alassane Ouattara dissolved his government on Wednesday, an unexpected move that comes as the world's top cocoa grower makes headway towards reviving its economy.
Ouattara won a November 2010 election, defeating incumbent president Laurent Gbagbo, whose refusal to accept the result triggered a four-month conflict that killed around 3,000 people.
His government continues to struggle with lingering insecurity since the war.
"The president of the republic ... ended the functions of the members of the government," Amadou Gon Coulibaly, Ouattara's secretary general, said following a cabinet meeting in the commercial capital Abidjan.
It was not clear when a new government would be named.
Since taking office last year, Ouattara, a former International Monetary Fund official, has overseen a much-lauded revival of the economy, with growth of 8.6 percent projected for 2012 following a contraction of 4.7 percent last year.
But the security services are struggling to cope with a series of armed attacks targeting military and infrastructure installations since August.
National reconciliation between rival political camps since the war, and essential security sector reform, are also lagging.
"It's quite strange, and it's quite risky," one western observer said of Ouattara's move to dissolve the government.
"He could be saying he's fed up with these guys and wants changes. It could also be a problem between (the coalition partners)," said the observer, who asked not to be named.
(Reporting by Loucoumane Coulibaly and Joe Bavier; Writing by David Lewis; Editing by Richard Valdmanis and Tom Pfeiffer)
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks