United Step Up Zaha Chase with Real Madrid Lurking - Report
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | November 15, 2012 12:10 AM EST
Manchester United are reportedly looking to reach an early agreement with Championship side Crystal Palace over the transfer of England youngster Wilfried Zaha. The 20 year old Ivory Coast born winger is believed to be a transfer target for a number of the Premier League's top clubs, including Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham.
The forward, who has four goals and three assists for the Eagles in 15 Championship appearances, signed a five year deal with the Selhurst Park club in December and has recently been quoted as saying he would try to reach a decision on his future before the winter transfer window in January.
A Goal.com report now states Sir Alex Ferguson's side are preparing a contract for Zaha, which will allow him to remain with his present club until the end of the season. Old Trafford officials hope this will persuade Palace to sign on the dotted line (because they keep the player in their bid to return to the Premier League). In addition, Zaha remains assured of first team appearances, as he continues his development, rather than transfer to Manchester immediately and sit on the bench.
Moreover, this offer reportedly also reflects a feeling within the United camp that suggests Zaha will eventually refuse a winter move, for the reasons outlined above. Ferguson offered Filham a similar deal when he signed 22 year old Chris Smalling from the Cottagers.
As for transfer costs, Palace's co-chairman, Steve Parish, was quoted as saying transfer bids would have to start in the £20m region but United sources confirm a fee in the £10m bracket is more likely.
At the end of it all, however, United and their rivals might be outbid by Spanish champions Real Madrid. The Sun reports Jose Mourinho's Galacticos have dispatched a scout to watch Zaha in the Championship, with a view to a summer transfer. Should these reports be true and Madrid do indeed announce themselves as bidders, it is likely the proposed transfer fee will certainly be closer to Parish's estimate than United officials, meanin
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal