United Step Up Zaha Chase with Real Madrid Lurking - Report
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | November 15, 2012 12:10 AM EST
Manchester United are reportedly looking to reach an early agreement with Championship side Crystal Palace over the transfer of England youngster Wilfried Zaha. The 20 year old Ivory Coast born winger is believed to be a transfer target for a number of the Premier League's top clubs, including Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham.
The forward, who has four goals and three assists for the Eagles in 15 Championship appearances, signed a five year deal with the Selhurst Park club in December and has recently been quoted as saying he would try to reach a decision on his future before the winter transfer window in January.
A Goal.com report now states Sir Alex Ferguson's side are preparing a contract for Zaha, which will allow him to remain with his present club until the end of the season. Old Trafford officials hope this will persuade Palace to sign on the dotted line (because they keep the player in their bid to return to the Premier League). In addition, Zaha remains assured of first team appearances, as he continues his development, rather than transfer to Manchester immediately and sit on the bench.
Moreover, this offer reportedly also reflects a feeling within the United camp that suggests Zaha will eventually refuse a winter move, for the reasons outlined above. Ferguson offered Filham a similar deal when he signed 22 year old Chris Smalling from the Cottagers.
As for transfer costs, Palace's co-chairman, Steve Parish, was quoted as saying transfer bids would have to start in the £20m region but United sources confirm a fee in the £10m bracket is more likely.
At the end of it all, however, United and their rivals might be outbid by Spanish champions Real Madrid. The Sun reports Jose Mourinho's Galacticos have dispatched a scout to watch Zaha in the Championship, with a view to a summer transfer. Should these reports be true and Madrid do indeed announce themselves as bidders, it is likely the proposed transfer fee will certainly be closer to Parish's estimate than United officials, meanin
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales