Rare Golconda Diamond Fetches Record £13.52M at Christie’s
By Sanskrity Sinha | November 14, 2012 11:50 PM EST
A rare and internally flawless diamond from India's Golconda mines has been sold for a record £13.52m ($21.48m) at an auction conducted by Christie's in Geneva.
The cushion-shaped and colourless diamond, weighing 76.02 carats, is famously known as The Archduke Joseph Diamond, after the name of its first recorded owner - Archduke Joseph August of Austria (1872 - 1962), a prince of Hungary. According to Christie's, the diamond possess a purity of colour and high degree of transparency, which are particular to the world's finest and purest type diamonds.
"Diamonds of this type and size, displaying such a superior quality as well as an antique cutting style, are extremely rare and will unequivocally evoke references to the historic term of 'Golconda'," a feature note on the Archduke Joseph Diamond on Christie's official Web site reads.
The sale of the diamond has set a new world record at auction for a colourless diamond as well as for a colourless Golconda diamond.
"In the busiest saleroom witnessed at the Four Seasons hotel des Bergues in Geneva in recent years, the Archduke Joseph Diamond of 76.02 carats sold for $21.5, a world record price per carat for a colourless diamond," François Curiel, President of Christie's Switzerland and International Director of Christie's Jewellery Department, confirmed.
Golconda Diamonds and Royal Connections
The Archduke Joseph Diamond apart, many famed diamonds that have a royal lineage and are part of crown jewels of various countries including Iran, are believed to have been extracted from the fabled Golconda mines in India. Among these are the Koh-i-Noor, presently on display at the Tower of London and set in the crown made for the late Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, for the 1937 coronation. According to the official Web site of the British Monarchy, the Koh-i-Noor diamond, which has a controversial history with regard to its first owner, was gifted to Queen Victoria in 1850 during the British Raj. At 105.6 carat, it is one of the largest known diamonds.
The Archduke Joseph Diamond's former owner, Alfredo J. Molina, who is also the CEO of America's Black, Starr & Frost jewelers, believes it is yet another Golconda diamond "fit" for a queen.
"I am thrilled but not surprised that the Archduke Joseph Diamond should have fetched such a high price. It is considered the finest and largest perfect Golconda diamond ever to appear at auction, with a noble lineage and royal provenance which literally 'Fit for a Queen'," he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- What Happens When You Give Up Sex For 12 Months? – Dialogue With Peter Lynagh – Exclusive
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Captain America 3’: Red Skull Returns, Greater Villains Added
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display