Staples profit beats estimates, shares up
November 14, 2012 11:49 PM EST
Staples shares were up 4 percent at $11.70 in premarket trade. They had fallen by about a 20 percent this year.
Staples' third-quarter adjusted profit beat estimates by 1 cent per share, although restructuring costs took it to a net loss.
Office supply chains are a good gauge of economic health because demand for their products is closely tied to white-collar employment rates.
Sales at Staples have suffered as corporate customers and other shoppers cut back on discretionary spending in the weak global economy, forcing the chain to keep a tight lid on costs.
But in the latest quarter, Staples reported North American delivery sales rose 1 percent even as retail sales remained flat.
Staples outlined in September plans to close 30 stores in North America and 45 stores in Europe, incurred impairment and restructuring charges of about $840 million in the quarter.
The company posted a net loss of $596.3 million, or 89 cents per share, for the third quarter, compared with a profit of $326.4 million, or 47 cents per share, a year earlier.
Excluding items, the company earned 46 cents per share.
Sales fell about 2 percent to $6.35 billion.
Analysts on average were looking for a profit of 45 cents per share on revenue of $6.45 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
The company reiterated its full-year profit and sales forecast.
(Reporting by Ranjita Ganesan, Chris Peters in Bangalore and Dhanya Skariachan in New York; Editing by Don Sebastian and Rodney Joyce)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People