Staples profit beats estimates, shares up
November 14, 2012 11:49 PM EST
Staples shares were up 4 percent at $11.70 in premarket trade. They had fallen by about a 20 percent this year.
Staples' third-quarter adjusted profit beat estimates by 1 cent per share, although restructuring costs took it to a net loss.
Office supply chains are a good gauge of economic health because demand for their products is closely tied to white-collar employment rates.
Sales at Staples have suffered as corporate customers and other shoppers cut back on discretionary spending in the weak global economy, forcing the chain to keep a tight lid on costs.
But in the latest quarter, Staples reported North American delivery sales rose 1 percent even as retail sales remained flat.
Staples outlined in September plans to close 30 stores in North America and 45 stores in Europe, incurred impairment and restructuring charges of about $840 million in the quarter.
The company posted a net loss of $596.3 million, or 89 cents per share, for the third quarter, compared with a profit of $326.4 million, or 47 cents per share, a year earlier.
Excluding items, the company earned 46 cents per share.
Sales fell about 2 percent to $6.35 billion.
Analysts on average were looking for a profit of 45 cents per share on revenue of $6.45 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
The company reiterated its full-year profit and sales forecast.
(Reporting by Ranjita Ganesan, Chris Peters in Bangalore and Dhanya Skariachan in New York; Editing by Don Sebastian and Rodney Joyce)
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage