Arsenal Midfielder Encouraged To Make Premier League Move
By Vanessa Keller | November 14, 2012 11:37 PM EST
Arshavin made the move to the Emirates in 2009 on the back of a successful Euro campaign, but since then he has struggled to make an impact for club or country.
Arsene Wenger has continually insisted that he believes Arshavin can improve for Arsenal, but after a loan spell was pushed through by the Russia international at the start of the year to Zenit St Petersburg for the remainder of last season, transfer rumours have surrounded the star ever since.
This season, upon his return to Arsenal, Arshavin has clocked up eight appearances, but only five of them have been in the Premier League. And as he struggles to make his way back into the Russia side after a disappointing 2012 Euro run, Pogrebnyak says he could be happier at Reading.
"It's Arshavin who has to make the decision," Get Reading reports.
"[Reading Owner] Anton Zingarevich knows him well enough without listening to my opinion, as he is from St Petersburg.
"Andrey is a master and there is no doubt that it would be great to see him at Reading."
Arshavin was one of Arsenal's largest purchases in the history of the club, with the 31 year old going to the Gunners for £15 million.
The media has often been harsh on the St Petersburg born player, and in September Wenger insisted he still had trust in his star purchase, but hinted he may be unhappy at Arsenal is his limited playing time continues.
"I have personally a great respect for Andrey Arshavin because sometimes some wrong ideas circulated about him - that he doesn't care, but it's completely the opposite," the Frenchman said.
"He is a 200 per cent professional who works every day very hard in training. At the moment he is a victim of the high level of competition that exists for places.
"I think he has a huge respect from everybody in the dressing room, and especially from the staff. We will give him of course some competition on Wednesday night.
"I feel he is unhappy he does not play because deeply he loves football and he practises every day with 100 per cent commitment."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports