Arsenal Midfielder Encouraged To Make Premier League Move
By Vanessa Keller | November 14, 2012 11:37 PM EST
Arshavin made the move to the Emirates in 2009 on the back of a successful Euro campaign, but since then he has struggled to make an impact for club or country.
Arsene Wenger has continually insisted that he believes Arshavin can improve for Arsenal, but after a loan spell was pushed through by the Russia international at the start of the year to Zenit St Petersburg for the remainder of last season, transfer rumours have surrounded the star ever since.
This season, upon his return to Arsenal, Arshavin has clocked up eight appearances, but only five of them have been in the Premier League. And as he struggles to make his way back into the Russia side after a disappointing 2012 Euro run, Pogrebnyak says he could be happier at Reading.
"It's Arshavin who has to make the decision," Get Reading reports.
"[Reading Owner] Anton Zingarevich knows him well enough without listening to my opinion, as he is from St Petersburg.
"Andrey is a master and there is no doubt that it would be great to see him at Reading."
Arshavin was one of Arsenal's largest purchases in the history of the club, with the 31 year old going to the Gunners for £15 million.
The media has often been harsh on the St Petersburg born player, and in September Wenger insisted he still had trust in his star purchase, but hinted he may be unhappy at Arsenal is his limited playing time continues.
"I have personally a great respect for Andrey Arshavin because sometimes some wrong ideas circulated about him - that he doesn't care, but it's completely the opposite," the Frenchman said.
"He is a 200 per cent professional who works every day very hard in training. At the moment he is a victim of the high level of competition that exists for places.
"I think he has a huge respect from everybody in the dressing room, and especially from the staff. We will give him of course some competition on Wednesday night.
"I feel he is unhappy he does not play because deeply he loves football and he practises every day with 100 per cent commitment."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments