Eric Clapton Rare Patek Philippe Watch Sells for £2.3m at Auction
By Toyin Owoseje | November 14, 2012 11:35 PM EST
A watch formerly owned by rock legend Eric Clapton has sold at auction for a staggering £2.3million ($3.68 million).
An Asian collector snapped up the reference 2499/100 Swiss-made Patek Philippe timepiece, which is one of only two cased in platinum, earlier this week.
The 67-year-old British musician was gifted with the "ultra-rare" chronograph, which went under the hammer at a Christie's auction event in Switzerland, in 2002.
The collector's piece, which was made in the Swiss city in 1987, has a perpetual calendar with moon phases, as well as windows for day and month and dials for seconds and minutes.
It fetched a combined hammer price and commission that was in line with Christie's pre-sale estimate of 2.5-4.0 million francs.
"The Eric Clapton watch was bought by an Asian private collector," Christie's spokesman Cristiano de Lorenzo told Reuters.
Despite Clapton's impressive sale, the star of the International auction of collectable watches in Geneva, was another platinum chronograph Patek Philippe, reference 2458, made in 1952 for American collector J.B. Champion.
It fetched nearly £2.5 million, setting a world record for a watch without complications, or features beyond the display of hours, minutes and seconds.
The Wonderful Tonight crooner is no stranger to making a profit at auction.
In 2011, Clapton sold more than 70 of his guitars at a charity auction in New York to raise $2.15 million for the Crossroads Centre drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre that he founded in Antigua.
Last month his abstract painting by German artist Gerhard Richter also went under the hammer at Sotheby's and sold for a record-breaking $34.2 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales