Eric Clapton Rare Patek Philippe Watch Sells for £2.3m at Auction
By Toyin Owoseje | November 14, 2012 11:35 PM EST
A watch formerly owned by rock legend Eric Clapton has sold at auction for a staggering £2.3million ($3.68 million).
An Asian collector snapped up the reference 2499/100 Swiss-made Patek Philippe timepiece, which is one of only two cased in platinum, earlier this week.
The 67-year-old British musician was gifted with the "ultra-rare" chronograph, which went under the hammer at a Christie's auction event in Switzerland, in 2002.
The collector's piece, which was made in the Swiss city in 1987, has a perpetual calendar with moon phases, as well as windows for day and month and dials for seconds and minutes.
It fetched a combined hammer price and commission that was in line with Christie's pre-sale estimate of 2.5-4.0 million francs.
"The Eric Clapton watch was bought by an Asian private collector," Christie's spokesman Cristiano de Lorenzo told Reuters.
Despite Clapton's impressive sale, the star of the International auction of collectable watches in Geneva, was another platinum chronograph Patek Philippe, reference 2458, made in 1952 for American collector J.B. Champion.
It fetched nearly £2.5 million, setting a world record for a watch without complications, or features beyond the display of hours, minutes and seconds.
The Wonderful Tonight crooner is no stranger to making a profit at auction.
In 2011, Clapton sold more than 70 of his guitars at a charity auction in New York to raise $2.15 million for the Crossroads Centre drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre that he founded in Antigua.
Last month his abstract painting by German artist Gerhard Richter also went under the hammer at Sotheby's and sold for a record-breaking $34.2 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 29, 2014: Caroline Is Remorseful About What Happened To Her And Ridge While Katie Is Fuming [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Star Wars: Episode 7' Leaked Image Of New Villain Clutching Red Lightsaber [Spoilers]
- 'The Walking Dead' Star Norman Reedus Bashes The Report That He Begged The Producers Not To Turn Daryl Dixon Gay
- 'Game Of Thrones' Actor Kit Harington Denies Romance With Co-stars Rose Leslie And Emilia Clarke
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family