Eric Clapton Rare Patek Philippe Watch Sells for £2.3m at Auction
By Toyin Owoseje | November 14, 2012 11:35 PM EST
A watch formerly owned by rock legend Eric Clapton has sold at auction for a staggering £2.3million ($3.68 million).
An Asian collector snapped up the reference 2499/100 Swiss-made Patek Philippe timepiece, which is one of only two cased in platinum, earlier this week.
The 67-year-old British musician was gifted with the "ultra-rare" chronograph, which went under the hammer at a Christie's auction event in Switzerland, in 2002.
The collector's piece, which was made in the Swiss city in 1987, has a perpetual calendar with moon phases, as well as windows for day and month and dials for seconds and minutes.
It fetched a combined hammer price and commission that was in line with Christie's pre-sale estimate of 2.5-4.0 million francs.
"The Eric Clapton watch was bought by an Asian private collector," Christie's spokesman Cristiano de Lorenzo told Reuters.
Despite Clapton's impressive sale, the star of the International auction of collectable watches in Geneva, was another platinum chronograph Patek Philippe, reference 2458, made in 1952 for American collector J.B. Champion.
It fetched nearly £2.5 million, setting a world record for a watch without complications, or features beyond the display of hours, minutes and seconds.
The Wonderful Tonight crooner is no stranger to making a profit at auction.
In 2011, Clapton sold more than 70 of his guitars at a charity auction in New York to raise $2.15 million for the Crossroads Centre drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre that he founded in Antigua.
Last month his abstract painting by German artist Gerhard Richter also went under the hammer at Sotheby's and sold for a record-breaking $34.2 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS