Eric Clapton Rare Patek Philippe Watch Sells for £2.3m at Auction
By Toyin Owoseje | November 14, 2012 11:35 PM EST
A watch formerly owned by rock legend Eric Clapton has sold at auction for a staggering £2.3million ($3.68 million).
An Asian collector snapped up the reference 2499/100 Swiss-made Patek Philippe timepiece, which is one of only two cased in platinum, earlier this week.
The 67-year-old British musician was gifted with the "ultra-rare" chronograph, which went under the hammer at a Christie's auction event in Switzerland, in 2002.
The collector's piece, which was made in the Swiss city in 1987, has a perpetual calendar with moon phases, as well as windows for day and month and dials for seconds and minutes.
It fetched a combined hammer price and commission that was in line with Christie's pre-sale estimate of 2.5-4.0 million francs.
"The Eric Clapton watch was bought by an Asian private collector," Christie's spokesman Cristiano de Lorenzo told Reuters.
Despite Clapton's impressive sale, the star of the International auction of collectable watches in Geneva, was another platinum chronograph Patek Philippe, reference 2458, made in 1952 for American collector J.B. Champion.
It fetched nearly £2.5 million, setting a world record for a watch without complications, or features beyond the display of hours, minutes and seconds.
The Wonderful Tonight crooner is no stranger to making a profit at auction.
In 2011, Clapton sold more than 70 of his guitars at a charity auction in New York to raise $2.15 million for the Crossroads Centre drug and alcohol rehabilitation centre that he founded in Antigua.
Last month his abstract painting by German artist Gerhard Richter also went under the hammer at Sotheby's and sold for a record-breaking $34.2 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Promo, Spoilers: Find Out What Happens In ‘Four Walls And A Roof’
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- Kristen Stewart ‘Not In Love’ With ‘Equals’ Co-star Nicholas Hoult -- Reports
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch