Lancaster Reveals Monye Decision
By Nick Howson | November 14, 2012 11:12 PM EST
Chris Ashton will replace Ugo Monye in England's squad for the second autumn international against Australia at Twickenham on Saturday.
Ashton missed last weekend's 54-12 win against Fiji through suspension after picking up a third yellow card of the season for Northampton, while his replacement Charlie Sharples scored two tries in his absence.
The Gloucester man has been retained in the squad, with Monye, who ran over a first half try himself, excluded at the expense of the returning Ashton, who has scored 15 international tries in 26 matches.
"We had to make some tough decisions within the 23 and we are in a good position to be able to select from a virtually fully fit squad," coach Stuart Lancaster said.
"Training has been very focused during the last two days with all the players training well and pushing hard.
"It is tough on Ugo, who misses out this time, but Chris [Ashton] has been excellent in training and Charlie is rewarded for his performance at the weekend."
Recent injury victims Courtney Lawes and Alex Corbisiero are among the 13 players who will return to their clubs, with the pair, as well as Jonathan Joseph, expected to receive Premiership playing time this weekend.
"Alex Corbisiero has played once in five months so it is important that he goes back and has more game time for London Irish," added Lancaster.
"Jonathan Joseph has come through training but Brad and Manu did well in the centres and, similar to Alex, it would be good for him to get some game time."
After sipping to fifth behind France in the IRB rankings, England require a string of victories against the three-highest ranked sides in the world in the coming weeks, starting against Australia on Saturday, in order to reclaim a place in the top four ahead of the World Cup group draw in December.
England squad against Australia:
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs), Joe Launchbury (London Wasps), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Tom Palmer (London Wasps), Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers), David Paice (London Irish), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, capt), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Thomas Waldrom (Leicester Tigers), David Wilson (Bath Rugby), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints), Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
Chris Ashton (Saracens),Brad Barritt (Saracens) ,Mike Brown (Harlequins) ,Danny Care (Harlequins), Owen Farrell (Saracens), Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers), Alex Goode (Saracens), Charlie Sharples (Gloucester Rugby), Manusamoa Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]