Lancaster Reveals Monye Decision
By Nick Howson | November 14, 2012 11:12 PM EST
Chris Ashton will replace Ugo Monye in England's squad for the second autumn international against Australia at Twickenham on Saturday.
Ashton missed last weekend's 54-12 win against Fiji through suspension after picking up a third yellow card of the season for Northampton, while his replacement Charlie Sharples scored two tries in his absence.
The Gloucester man has been retained in the squad, with Monye, who ran over a first half try himself, excluded at the expense of the returning Ashton, who has scored 15 international tries in 26 matches.
"We had to make some tough decisions within the 23 and we are in a good position to be able to select from a virtually fully fit squad," coach Stuart Lancaster said.
"Training has been very focused during the last two days with all the players training well and pushing hard.
"It is tough on Ugo, who misses out this time, but Chris [Ashton] has been excellent in training and Charlie is rewarded for his performance at the weekend."
Recent injury victims Courtney Lawes and Alex Corbisiero are among the 13 players who will return to their clubs, with the pair, as well as Jonathan Joseph, expected to receive Premiership playing time this weekend.
"Alex Corbisiero has played once in five months so it is important that he goes back and has more game time for London Irish," added Lancaster.
"Jonathan Joseph has come through training but Brad and Manu did well in the centres and, similar to Alex, it would be good for him to get some game time."
After sipping to fifth behind France in the IRB rankings, England require a string of victories against the three-highest ranked sides in the world in the coming weeks, starting against Australia on Saturday, in order to reclaim a place in the top four ahead of the World Cup group draw in December.
England squad against Australia:
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Tom Johnson (Exeter Chiefs), Joe Launchbury (London Wasps), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Tom Palmer (London Wasps), Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers), David Paice (London Irish), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, capt), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Thomas Waldrom (Leicester Tigers), David Wilson (Bath Rugby), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints), Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
Chris Ashton (Saracens),Brad Barritt (Saracens) ,Mike Brown (Harlequins) ,Danny Care (Harlequins), Owen Farrell (Saracens), Toby Flood (Leicester Tigers), Alex Goode (Saracens), Charlie Sharples (Gloucester Rugby), Manusamoa Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]