Staples sales miss estimates
November 14, 2012 10:56 PM EST
The company posted a net loss of $596.3 million, or 89 cents per share, for the third quarter, compared with a profit of $326.4 million, or 47 cents per share, a year earlier.
Excluding items, the company earned 46 cents per share.
Sales fell about 2 percent to $6.35 billion.
Analysts on average were looking for a profit of 45 cents per share on revenue of $6.45 billion, according to Thomson Reuters I/B/E/S.
Office supply chains are a good gauge of economic health because demand for their products is closely tied to white-collar employment rates.
Staples shares, which have fallen 21 percent this year, closed at $11.25 on the Nasdaq on Tuesday. (Reporting by Ranjita Ganesan and Chris Peters in Bangalore; Editing by Don Sebastian)
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks