Box Office Report: 'JTHJ' and 'SOS' Collect Over 10 Crore Each on First Day
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 14, 2012 10:43 PM EST
This year's Diwali releases - "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" and "Son of Sardaar" - have made a wonderful opening, racking in over Rs.10 crore each on the day of release itself.
"Jab Tak Hai Jaan" and "Son of Sardaar" not only clashed at the box office but also in real life with "SOS" producer Ajay Devgn acussing Yash Raj Films of monopolistic practices in promoting its film.
Trade analyst and film critic Taran Adarsh tweeted that "JTHJ" collected Rs. 15.23 crore from 2500 screens and "SOS" earned Rs. 10.72 crore from 2000 screens on the day of release.
Taran had earlier revealed the overseas box office details of both the films. He tweeted that "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" collected A$ 77,334 (Rs 44.39 lakh) from 24 locations in Australia, £ 158,342 (Rs 1.38 crore) from 86 locations in the United Kingdom, S$ 96,000 from Singapore and $ 325,000 from the UAE.
"SOS" collected NZ$ 5,116 (Rs 2.30 lakhs) from five locations in New Zealand, A$ 55,125 (Rs 31.64 lakh) from 22 locations in Australia, $ 53,000 from the UAE and £ 28,787 (Rs 25.10 lakh) from 69 locations in the United Kingdom, according to the tweets by Taran.
"Son of Sardaar", featuring Ajay Devgn, Sonakshi Sinha, Sanjay Dutt and Juhi Chawla, was released in about 2000 screens worldwide on Tuesday and "Jab Tak Hai Jaan", featuring Shah Rukh Khan, Katrina Kaif and Anushka Sharma was released in about 2500 screens worldwide.
Interestingly, the producers of "SOS" and "JTHJ" are fighting over an issue related to these films.
Ajay Devgn, producer of "SOS", has accused production house Yash Raj Films of monopolistic practices in promoting "JTHJ". He has approached the Appellate Tribunal after the Competition Commission of India (CCI) rejected his plea.
The Appellate Tribunal has ordered an enquiry into the allegation of Ajay Devgn but didn't stay the release of "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" as it could lead to irreparable financial loss.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales