Iraq: Series of Car Bombings Kill 17 on Eve of Shia Holy Month [PHOTOS]
By Umberto Bacchi | November 14, 2012 10:30 PM EST
At least 17 people have been killed in a series of bombings in Iraq, on the eve of the Shia Muslim holy month of Muharram.
At least six car and roadside bombs exploded in the capital, Baghdad, and four other urban areas. The deadlist attacks took place in the northern city of Kirkuk, where at least three bombs exploded simultaneously.
No-one has yet claimed responsibility for the attacks, however their timing suggests they could be sectarian in nature.
Iraq only recently emerged from a brutal sectarian civil war, and militant Sunni groups have mounted several attacks against their Shia rivals.
The Kirkuk attacks began when a car exploded next to the offices of the Kurdistan Democratic Party, which represents the semi-autonomous Kurdish region of Iraq.
As police gathered to investigate the explosion, they were hit by another bomb that killed at least nine and wounded 30, officials told Reuters. In another part of the town, a third bomb wounded seven street cleaners.
In the city of Hilla, 62 miles south of Baghdad, a car bomb exploded next to a girls' school and a crowded poultry market, leaving four dead. Local official Hamza Kadhim told Reuters that the attack was "a real vicious terrorist act."
In the Sunni-dominated city of Hawija, about 62 miles north of Baghdad, a car bomb targeting an Iraqi army patrol killed five and injured four.
In the capital Baghdad, a person was killed in an explosion which was apparently aimed at an Interior Ministry official. Three policemen and another six people were wounded.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales