Long-term Spurs Target Not Thinking of Dream Move
By Nick Howson | November 14, 2012 8:24 PM EST
Internacional striker Leandro Damiao says he dreams of playing for Real Madrid but admits he is in no rush to fulfil his ambition.
The Brazilian forward, who scored six goals in the Olympic football competition as the Samba stars won the silver medal at London 2012, has attracted interest from a host of European sides.
Tottenham Hotspur's interest has persisted however, but having had a bid rejected in the summer for Damiao's services, the 23 year old says his footballing dream is to play for Madrid.
"Now is not the moment to be thinking of playing in Europe, I just want to continue improving and scoring goals.
"I have a contract with Porto Alegre, I love it here and do not feel the need to move away right now, although it is obvious that the day will come when I will leave Brazil to go and play in Europe."
Amid Tottenham's attempts to sign Emmanuel Adebayor from Manchester City, the club had a bid rejected by Internacional for Damiao's services.
However, in turning down Spurs' advances, vice president Luciano Davi said the club with seek to keep the striker until at least the end of 2012.
"Our intention is that Leandro Damiao doesn't leave this year," Davi told Globo Esporte.
"He is an Internacional player until December. Their offer wasn't relevant and we are not interested in selling him.
"Tottenham came to us but their offer didn't match our valuation of him. Leandro Damiao is a national team striker and we have to value that."
Tottenham were among the busiest clubs in the summer transfer window, signing Jan Vertonghen, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Moussa Dembele, Hugo Lloris, Adebayor and Clint Dempsey on deadline day.
Andre Villas-Boas endured a tough early spell to his managerial career at Spurs, failing to beat West Bromwich Albion and Norwich City in consecutive home matches.
But victory at Manchester United has sparked an upturn in fortunes and despite last weekend's loss at Manchester City, the White Hart Lane club are firmly in contention to finish in the Premier League's top four.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports