Long-term Spurs Target Not Thinking of Dream Move
By Nick Howson | November 14, 2012 8:24 PM EST
Internacional striker Leandro Damiao says he dreams of playing for Real Madrid but admits he is in no rush to fulfil his ambition.
The Brazilian forward, who scored six goals in the Olympic football competition as the Samba stars won the silver medal at London 2012, has attracted interest from a host of European sides.
Tottenham Hotspur's interest has persisted however, but having had a bid rejected in the summer for Damiao's services, the 23 year old says his footballing dream is to play for Madrid.
"Now is not the moment to be thinking of playing in Europe, I just want to continue improving and scoring goals.
"I have a contract with Porto Alegre, I love it here and do not feel the need to move away right now, although it is obvious that the day will come when I will leave Brazil to go and play in Europe."
Amid Tottenham's attempts to sign Emmanuel Adebayor from Manchester City, the club had a bid rejected by Internacional for Damiao's services.
However, in turning down Spurs' advances, vice president Luciano Davi said the club with seek to keep the striker until at least the end of 2012.
"Our intention is that Leandro Damiao doesn't leave this year," Davi told Globo Esporte.
"He is an Internacional player until December. Their offer wasn't relevant and we are not interested in selling him.
"Tottenham came to us but their offer didn't match our valuation of him. Leandro Damiao is a national team striker and we have to value that."
Tottenham were among the busiest clubs in the summer transfer window, signing Jan Vertonghen, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Moussa Dembele, Hugo Lloris, Adebayor and Clint Dempsey on deadline day.
Andre Villas-Boas endured a tough early spell to his managerial career at Spurs, failing to beat West Bromwich Albion and Norwich City in consecutive home matches.
But victory at Manchester United has sparked an upturn in fortunes and despite last weekend's loss at Manchester City, the White Hart Lane club are firmly in contention to finish in the Premier League's top four.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Manchester United Transfer News: Van Gaal Hits Back At Guardiola Claiming Every Player He Spoke To Wants Old Trafford Move
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?