Long-term Spurs Target Not Thinking of Dream Move
By Nick Howson | November 14, 2012 8:24 PM EST
Internacional striker Leandro Damiao says he dreams of playing for Real Madrid but admits he is in no rush to fulfil his ambition.
The Brazilian forward, who scored six goals in the Olympic football competition as the Samba stars won the silver medal at London 2012, has attracted interest from a host of European sides.
Tottenham Hotspur's interest has persisted however, but having had a bid rejected in the summer for Damiao's services, the 23 year old says his footballing dream is to play for Madrid.
"Now is not the moment to be thinking of playing in Europe, I just want to continue improving and scoring goals.
"I have a contract with Porto Alegre, I love it here and do not feel the need to move away right now, although it is obvious that the day will come when I will leave Brazil to go and play in Europe."
Amid Tottenham's attempts to sign Emmanuel Adebayor from Manchester City, the club had a bid rejected by Internacional for Damiao's services.
However, in turning down Spurs' advances, vice president Luciano Davi said the club with seek to keep the striker until at least the end of 2012.
"Our intention is that Leandro Damiao doesn't leave this year," Davi told Globo Esporte.
"He is an Internacional player until December. Their offer wasn't relevant and we are not interested in selling him.
"Tottenham came to us but their offer didn't match our valuation of him. Leandro Damiao is a national team striker and we have to value that."
Tottenham were among the busiest clubs in the summer transfer window, signing Jan Vertonghen, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Moussa Dembele, Hugo Lloris, Adebayor and Clint Dempsey on deadline day.
Andre Villas-Boas endured a tough early spell to his managerial career at Spurs, failing to beat West Bromwich Albion and Norwich City in consecutive home matches.
But victory at Manchester United has sparked an upturn in fortunes and despite last weekend's loss at Manchester City, the White Hart Lane club are firmly in contention to finish in the Premier League's top four.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine