Long-term Spurs Target Not Thinking of Dream Move
By Nick Howson | November 14, 2012 8:24 PM EST
Internacional striker Leandro Damiao says he dreams of playing for Real Madrid but admits he is in no rush to fulfil his ambition.
The Brazilian forward, who scored six goals in the Olympic football competition as the Samba stars won the silver medal at London 2012, has attracted interest from a host of European sides.
Tottenham Hotspur's interest has persisted however, but having had a bid rejected in the summer for Damiao's services, the 23 year old says his footballing dream is to play for Madrid.
"Now is not the moment to be thinking of playing in Europe, I just want to continue improving and scoring goals.
"I have a contract with Porto Alegre, I love it here and do not feel the need to move away right now, although it is obvious that the day will come when I will leave Brazil to go and play in Europe."
Amid Tottenham's attempts to sign Emmanuel Adebayor from Manchester City, the club had a bid rejected by Internacional for Damiao's services.
However, in turning down Spurs' advances, vice president Luciano Davi said the club with seek to keep the striker until at least the end of 2012.
"Our intention is that Leandro Damiao doesn't leave this year," Davi told Globo Esporte.
"He is an Internacional player until December. Their offer wasn't relevant and we are not interested in selling him.
"Tottenham came to us but their offer didn't match our valuation of him. Leandro Damiao is a national team striker and we have to value that."
Tottenham were among the busiest clubs in the summer transfer window, signing Jan Vertonghen, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Moussa Dembele, Hugo Lloris, Adebayor and Clint Dempsey on deadline day.
Andre Villas-Boas endured a tough early spell to his managerial career at Spurs, failing to beat West Bromwich Albion and Norwich City in consecutive home matches.
But victory at Manchester United has sparked an upturn in fortunes and despite last weekend's loss at Manchester City, the White Hart Lane club are firmly in contention to finish in the Premier League's top four.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Kate Middleton, Kelly Brook Have 'Most Perfect Breasts' While Kim Kardashian, Rihanna Have 'Least Desirable' Breasts, New Survey Finds [SEE PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L