Long-term Spurs Target Not Thinking of Dream Move
By Nick Howson | November 14, 2012 8:24 PM EST
Internacional striker Leandro Damiao says he dreams of playing for Real Madrid but admits he is in no rush to fulfil his ambition.
The Brazilian forward, who scored six goals in the Olympic football competition as the Samba stars won the silver medal at London 2012, has attracted interest from a host of European sides.
Tottenham Hotspur's interest has persisted however, but having had a bid rejected in the summer for Damiao's services, the 23 year old says his footballing dream is to play for Madrid.
"Now is not the moment to be thinking of playing in Europe, I just want to continue improving and scoring goals.
"I have a contract with Porto Alegre, I love it here and do not feel the need to move away right now, although it is obvious that the day will come when I will leave Brazil to go and play in Europe."
Amid Tottenham's attempts to sign Emmanuel Adebayor from Manchester City, the club had a bid rejected by Internacional for Damiao's services.
However, in turning down Spurs' advances, vice president Luciano Davi said the club with seek to keep the striker until at least the end of 2012.
"Our intention is that Leandro Damiao doesn't leave this year," Davi told Globo Esporte.
"He is an Internacional player until December. Their offer wasn't relevant and we are not interested in selling him.
"Tottenham came to us but their offer didn't match our valuation of him. Leandro Damiao is a national team striker and we have to value that."
Tottenham were among the busiest clubs in the summer transfer window, signing Jan Vertonghen, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Moussa Dembele, Hugo Lloris, Adebayor and Clint Dempsey on deadline day.
Andre Villas-Boas endured a tough early spell to his managerial career at Spurs, failing to beat West Bromwich Albion and Norwich City in consecutive home matches.
But victory at Manchester United has sparked an upturn in fortunes and despite last weekend's loss at Manchester City, the White Hart Lane club are firmly in contention to finish in the Premier League's top four.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga