Solar Eclipse 2012 Partially Witnessed in Melbourne and Other Parts of Australia
By Jenalyn Villamarin | November 14, 2012 3:09 PM EST
Queensland may have witnessed the two-minute total solar eclipse but other parts of Australia like Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne were also able to view a partially covered sun.
Southeast Queensland sky-gazers observed 83% solar eclipse, 67% of the sun was covered in Sydney while the sun appeared half-visible in Melbourne.
The Cosmos Centre in Charleville received numerous reservations where a special solar eclipse breakfast for spectators was prepared. "The sun will come up with a bit of a bite out of it. We will put our solar glasses on to watch and have our telescope with a special filter on so we can see the partial eclipse," Cosmos Centre manager Jane Morgan said.
Amateur astronomer Jonathan Bradshaw from Brisbane was ready to stay up all throughout the night with his equipment and experience the solar eclipse. ''For our set-up to be really good, we need to get it accurately aligned," Bradshaw said. Fellow eclipse chaser Terry Cuttle was hoping that the clouds would give way for his 12th total solar eclipse experience. ''Terry's an eclipse-chasing legend,'' Bradshaw revealed.
Annie Vestergaard, a 13-year-old local student, woke up as early as 5 am with her parents and made their way to a nearby beach to view the solar eclipse. "If cloud obscures the view it will be disappointing, but I'll still get to experience it going dark," Annie shared.
In Adelaide, Professor Paul Curnow estimated that about 30% of the sun would only be covered during the eclipse. "Even though here in Adelaide it's not a total eclipse, you will still be witnessing one of nature's rare events. It will be worthwhile getting up early to see part of the moon moving across the face of the sun," Curnow said.
Meanwhile, the next total solar eclipse visible in Australia will reportedly occur in 2028 where it will cover a much larger area in the southwest of Queensland.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Fate of MH370, MH17 Trigger Mass Resignation of Crew in Malaysia Airlines
- ISIS $3 Million Daily Oil Revenues Fund Operations; Obama to Build International Coalition to Widen Assault
- British Cleric Accused of Urging James Foley Executioner; Predicted ISIS Will Fight in the West
- Amish Girls Abducted, Handcuffed And Used As Sex Slaves
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected