Fed’s Yellen Suggests Near-Zero Rates Until 2016
By jturbin | November 14, 2012 11:08 AM EST
Janet Yellen, vice-chair of the Federal Reserve and one of the most influential central bankers in the world, stated this afternoon that the Fed could keep its benchmark interest rate at a record low for longer than previously anticipated.
In a speech at the University of California, Berkeley, Yellen described the “optimal” monetary policy as striving for inflation of 2% and an unemployment rate of 6%. ”This highly accommodative policy path generates a faster reduction in unemployment than in the baseline, while inflation slightly overshoots the Committee’s 2 percent objective for several years,” she contended.
Under such a scenario, the Fed Funds rate would have to remain at a record low of zero until early 2016 – rather than the mid-2015 time period to which the Fed committed earlier this year.
Yellen – one of the foremost doves at the Fed alongside Chairman Ben Bernanke – went on to say that she “strongly supports” a policy that would “eliminate the calendar date entirely and replace it with guidance on the economic conditions that would need to prevail before liftoff of the federal funds rate.”
“I support this approach because it would enable the public to immediately adjust its expectations concerning the timing of liftoff in response to new information affecting the economic outlook,” she added. ”This market response would serve as a kind of automatic stabilizer for the economy.”
While Yellen’s comments had a minimal effect today on gold futures – which remained fractionally lower near $1,725 per ounce – the last several years of financial history suggests that the longer-term implications are bullish for the yellow metal, particularly due to the ongoing presence of negative real interest rates.
(For more analysis of the Fed’s impact on gold prices, check out GoldAlert Pro at http://pro.goldalert.com)
The full text of Yellen’s speech is available at the Federal Reserve’s website.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine