Pat Robertson's Take On The Petraeus Affair? Propinquity
November 14, 2012 10:53 AM EST
The Rev. Pat Robertson has chimed in on deposed CIA Director David Petraeus and his affair with his biographer, Paula Broadwell, to say in effect: He couldn't help it.
On “The 700 Club,” his flagship program on his Christian Broadcasting Network, host and television evangelist Pat Robertson weighed in on the Petraeus scandal Monday. Robertson, who has never been shy about preaching morality, seemed to excuse the general and see him almost as the victim, notes RightWingWatch.
Robertson describes Broadwell's appeal, saying: “She's a lieutenant colonel, she is an extremely good-looking woman, she is a marathon runner, she can run Ironman Triathlons. So, she’s out running with him and she’s writing a biography.”
At this point, Robertson introduces many to a word that will be Googled and should become the Word of the Day.
That's the reason why the affair started. Basically, propinquity is closeness, proximity, be it physical, emotional or spiritual, that leads to attraction. Broadwell spent so much time with Petraeus while writing his biography that she naturally formed an attraction for him, the preacher said.
Robertson goes on to say, “The man is off in a foreign land and he’s lonely and here’s a good-looking lady throwing herself at him. I mean, it’s — he’s a man.”
While the clip RightWingWatch provides ends at that provocative statement, Robertson does round out his comments later on in the segment.
In an extended clip, posted by The Raw Story, Robertson goes on to say, “I don’t condone sexual immorality, but at the same time, I don’t think it should be necessarily a disqualification for somebody to head the CIA.”
The Raw Story notes that at a 1999 dinner, Robertson applauded the impeachment of then-President Bill Clinton over his affarir with Monica Lewinsky.
You can view Pat Robertson's comments on “The 700 Club” below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People