Pat Robertson's Take On The Petraeus Affair? Propinquity
November 14, 2012 10:53 AM EST
The Rev. Pat Robertson has chimed in on deposed CIA Director David Petraeus and his affair with his biographer, Paula Broadwell, to say in effect: He couldn't help it.
On “The 700 Club,” his flagship program on his Christian Broadcasting Network, host and television evangelist Pat Robertson weighed in on the Petraeus scandal Monday. Robertson, who has never been shy about preaching morality, seemed to excuse the general and see him almost as the victim, notes RightWingWatch.
Robertson describes Broadwell's appeal, saying: “She's a lieutenant colonel, she is an extremely good-looking woman, she is a marathon runner, she can run Ironman Triathlons. So, she’s out running with him and she’s writing a biography.”
At this point, Robertson introduces many to a word that will be Googled and should become the Word of the Day.
That's the reason why the affair started. Basically, propinquity is closeness, proximity, be it physical, emotional or spiritual, that leads to attraction. Broadwell spent so much time with Petraeus while writing his biography that she naturally formed an attraction for him, the preacher said.
Robertson goes on to say, “The man is off in a foreign land and he’s lonely and here’s a good-looking lady throwing herself at him. I mean, it’s — he’s a man.”
While the clip RightWingWatch provides ends at that provocative statement, Robertson does round out his comments later on in the segment.
In an extended clip, posted by The Raw Story, Robertson goes on to say, “I don’t condone sexual immorality, but at the same time, I don’t think it should be necessarily a disqualification for somebody to head the CIA.”
The Raw Story notes that at a 1999 dinner, Robertson applauded the impeachment of then-President Bill Clinton over his affarir with Monica Lewinsky.
You can view Pat Robertson's comments on “The 700 Club” below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine