Pat Robertson's Take On The Petraeus Affair? Propinquity
November 14, 2012 10:53 AM EST
The Rev. Pat Robertson has chimed in on deposed CIA Director David Petraeus and his affair with his biographer, Paula Broadwell, to say in effect: He couldn't help it.
On “The 700 Club,” his flagship program on his Christian Broadcasting Network, host and television evangelist Pat Robertson weighed in on the Petraeus scandal Monday. Robertson, who has never been shy about preaching morality, seemed to excuse the general and see him almost as the victim, notes RightWingWatch.
Robertson describes Broadwell's appeal, saying: “She's a lieutenant colonel, she is an extremely good-looking woman, she is a marathon runner, she can run Ironman Triathlons. So, she’s out running with him and she’s writing a biography.”
At this point, Robertson introduces many to a word that will be Googled and should become the Word of the Day.
That's the reason why the affair started. Basically, propinquity is closeness, proximity, be it physical, emotional or spiritual, that leads to attraction. Broadwell spent so much time with Petraeus while writing his biography that she naturally formed an attraction for him, the preacher said.
Robertson goes on to say, “The man is off in a foreign land and he’s lonely and here’s a good-looking lady throwing herself at him. I mean, it’s — he’s a man.”
While the clip RightWingWatch provides ends at that provocative statement, Robertson does round out his comments later on in the segment.
In an extended clip, posted by The Raw Story, Robertson goes on to say, “I don’t condone sexual immorality, but at the same time, I don’t think it should be necessarily a disqualification for somebody to head the CIA.”
The Raw Story notes that at a 1999 dinner, Robertson applauded the impeachment of then-President Bill Clinton over his affarir with Monica Lewinsky.
You can view Pat Robertson's comments on “The 700 Club” below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop