Pat Robertson's Take On The Petraeus Affair? Propinquity
November 14, 2012 10:53 AM EST
The Rev. Pat Robertson has chimed in on deposed CIA Director David Petraeus and his affair with his biographer, Paula Broadwell, to say in effect: He couldn't help it.
On “The 700 Club,” his flagship program on his Christian Broadcasting Network, host and television evangelist Pat Robertson weighed in on the Petraeus scandal Monday. Robertson, who has never been shy about preaching morality, seemed to excuse the general and see him almost as the victim, notes RightWingWatch.
Robertson describes Broadwell's appeal, saying: “She's a lieutenant colonel, she is an extremely good-looking woman, she is a marathon runner, she can run Ironman Triathlons. So, she’s out running with him and she’s writing a biography.”
At this point, Robertson introduces many to a word that will be Googled and should become the Word of the Day.
That's the reason why the affair started. Basically, propinquity is closeness, proximity, be it physical, emotional or spiritual, that leads to attraction. Broadwell spent so much time with Petraeus while writing his biography that she naturally formed an attraction for him, the preacher said.
Robertson goes on to say, “The man is off in a foreign land and he’s lonely and here’s a good-looking lady throwing herself at him. I mean, it’s — he’s a man.”
While the clip RightWingWatch provides ends at that provocative statement, Robertson does round out his comments later on in the segment.
In an extended clip, posted by The Raw Story, Robertson goes on to say, “I don’t condone sexual immorality, but at the same time, I don’t think it should be necessarily a disqualification for somebody to head the CIA.”
The Raw Story notes that at a 1999 dinner, Robertson applauded the impeachment of then-President Bill Clinton over his affarir with Monica Lewinsky.
You can view Pat Robertson's comments on “The 700 Club” below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date